Am I being defrauded by a seller?

unter
Contributor
Contributor

I am attempting to purchase an item of clothing from a seller with a website registered in Shanghai. The domain is only a few months old and I am skeptical of the seller due to some very low prices.

When I get to the "Review your information" page to pay, I see in "Your order summary" under the description, the item is listed as simply "service", with no reference to the actual item I want to buy.

As I understand it, Paypal buyer protection doesn't cover intangible goods such as a "service".

Is it possible the seller is telling Paypal that I am buying a "service" of some kind, thereby circumventing buyer protection hoping to scam me?

(The website in question is myntrade.com )

Thanks for any advice.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If in doubt don't buy.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

unter
Contributor
Contributor

Well, obviously. That's why I haven't bought *yet*.

I'm trying to get a clear answer to a clear question though: does it matter what the item "description" is shown as, and could it lead to a dishonest seller circumventing buyer protection?

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

unter wrote:

Is it possible the seller is telling Paypal that I am buying a "service" of some kind, thereby circumventing buyer protection hoping to scam me?

@unter

Yes... that's very possible.  Your order summary page should describe the item of clothing your purchasing.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.