Does Recipient Need a BANK Account?

Vindication
Contributor
Contributor

I'd like to send someone some money.  Do they need a BANK acct to receive the money?  What exactly does the recipient need in order to receive money I will send via Paypal?  How will they receive the money from PayPal?

Thank you very much,

Vinnie

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I've been told by PayPal that the recipient does not need a PayPal account to receive funds. 

No they don't as they are sent an email to OPEN a paypal account to receive the payment when you send it, but they still need to have a paypal account.

And I have sent funds to people who did not have a PayPal acct but they did have a Bank account

Did not know that was possible, how can they accept a paypal payment without a paypal account as you can't send a payment direct to a bank account via paypal.

My question was does the recipient need to have a BANK ACCOUNT in order to receive funds via PayPal.

As i said funds go into their paypal account balance BUT if they want to use those funds they need to have a bank account linked to withdraw those funds. They can receive them into their balance and also spend them from that balance as long as they have a back up card linked to their paypal account but they can't withdraw to a card only a bank account.

Don't worry too much re kudos its just a tag i add on the bottom of every post as so many don't ever say thank you which is all i really want.

OK off to bed now but if i have not answered your query others will be about or i may log on in the morning.

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You can send funds from one paypal account to another.

Whether they pay a fee or have a pending status depends on how you send it.

To withdraw funds in the US they need a bank account linked to their paypal account.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Vindication
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for your timely response.  I appreciate that.

But, I'm confused now.  Firstly, I am not worried about fees and didn't mention fees.  Secondly, I've been told by PayPal that the recipient does not need a PayPal account to receive funds.  And I have sent funds to people who did not have a PayPal acct but they did have a Bank account. Yet your answer seems to say they do need a PayPal account and doesn't mention whether they need a bank account.

My question was does the recipient need to have a BANK ACCOUNT in order to receive funds via PayPal.

Oh and how do I give you a Kudos?  I can't find the button. 

Thank you again,

Vinnie

Login to Me Too

Vindication
Contributor
Contributor

Oh never mind on the Kudos button, I found it.

Thanks again!

-V

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I've been told by PayPal that the recipient does not need a PayPal account to receive funds. 

No they don't as they are sent an email to OPEN a paypal account to receive the payment when you send it, but they still need to have a paypal account.

And I have sent funds to people who did not have a PayPal acct but they did have a Bank account

Did not know that was possible, how can they accept a paypal payment without a paypal account as you can't send a payment direct to a bank account via paypal.

As i said funds go into their paypal account balance BUT if they want to use those funds they need to have a bank account linked to withdraw those funds. They can receive them into their balance and also spend them from that balance as long as they have a back up card linked to their paypal account but they can't withdraw to a card only a bank account.

Don't worry too much re kudos its just a tag i add on the bottom of every post as so many don't ever say thank you which is all i really want.

OK off to bed now but if i have not answered your query others will be about or i may log on in the morning.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Vindication
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't know recipients receive a letter to open an account and my people did not tell me if they did after receiving the email I was sending funds.  So more than likely that's what happened, they ended up opening an account after all.  PayPal needs to change their boast that we can send money to people who don't have PayPal accounts or at least mention that people are asked to open accounts before receiving their funds.  That sounds like a dirty trick to get people, who are waiting to receive their funds, to open PayPal accounts so they can receive those funds.

Well, anyway, thank you again for responding in a timely manner.

Kudos to you.

-V 

Login to Me Too

Tom108
New Community Member
I lost my state i.d. And want to shop at Walmart.So im wondering if my friend can recieve money from my paypal and buy a walmart gift card wich he can pick up for me with his i.d...thanx for the info on the needing a bank account but does he need one to just recieve money from my account to his?and then shop online?
Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Tom108 wrote:
I lost my state i.d. And want to shop at Walmart.So im wondering if my friend can recieve money from my paypal and buy a walmart gift card wich he can pick up for me with his i.d...thanx for the info on the needing a bank account but does he need one to just recieve money from my account to his?and then shop online?

@Tom108

WalMart accepts PayPal payments... you should be able to use your own PayPal account to purchase WalMart items.

Your friend doesn't need a bank account to accept your PayPal payments to his PayPal account, but he may need to have a linked credit card or debit card to send PayPal payments.  He can use this link - https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_show-limits&req_from=view_limits - to check his PayPal sending limit and see whether he needs to link a card to his PayPal account.

-Sandy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.