How likely will I win this case

Temp20220907J
Contributor
Contributor
I purchased a phone from a company in China that is pretty well known. However, when I received the product I've experienced problems from day 1 and requested a refund from the seller. The problems I'm having is when a person tries to call me it goes straight to voice mail. I have used my friends phone as well as Google voice to test it. So essentially the phone is useless. I have already opened a dispute and the seller does not respond via PayPal. I have messaged them on Facebook and I requested a refund however they tell me to take it to a phone shop to get it fixed or ship it back for an exchange. I wish I can provide evidence to PayPal via a video recording however they do not accept videos. I am just really paranoid about this issue.
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If you filed a dispute for not significantly as descrbed you might win, but a win can be a loss.

You would then need to ship the phone back to the seller paying for for online tracking to the seller's location.  You need tracking to the seller, not just to the country, so you need to make sure you select the right class of shipping service.  You would get the item cost refund after the seller receives the item.  The seller then has a chance to file an appeal and claim the phone works properly.   No one can prove otherwise and the outcome is unpredictable.

Purchasing a phone from overseas is extremly risky and can be very costly.

Login to Me Too

Temp20220907J
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal can cover up to $30 in returns however I'm pretty sure the shipping cost will still be more than $30. I'm probably not going to purchase anything from China that is over $20 after this incident. I guess I'll just have to wait for Paypal's decision. 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

skip Paypal and go to your cc issuer,saying seller would not respond ,you may not have to return the phone and he will be socked with $20 chargeback fee 

Login to Me Too

Temp20220907J
Contributor
Contributor
The seller does respond but not on PayPal. I was hoping to resolve this matter via PayPal. Also, they offered no viable resolution. I ask for refund and they request if I can get it fixed at a local store or return and exchange the item. I don't want a exchange since other users have reported many problems with the same phone
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

There will always be more risk buying from overseas vendor,as  you are finding out now.

lower price is not everything,try to buy from domestic seller or reputable seller.

INXPRESS gives you a discount shipping DHL.free to join.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.