eBay Nigeria scam

Rmil6617
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too
179 REPLIES 179

Nimboy
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I have been scammed too unfortunately, and I have emailed the postmaster.ng yahoo.com but doesn't anybody know hoe long it takes for a reply ?
Login to Me Too

Candyr124
Contributor
Contributor
What authorities did you phone this has happened to means I'm trying so hard to retrieve my iPhone back Thankyou in advance
Login to Me Too

JayB7
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Candy124,

Unfortunately, there is NO authorities that you can contact/phone to retrieve your iPhone. The "authorities" that get mentioned are simply another 'scam', you'll be requested to forward MORE money to someone...but you WONT get your items back...ever I'm sorry to say.

Login to Me Too

Captwoodse
Contributor
Contributor
I nearly got caught out. Glad I read this post. USA to post to Nigeria. No way. Thanks to all these people who have said these are scams and don't do it. Hopefully if there were people that got caught out they didn't lose out to these people. Had to send it first to get a tracking number and monies will be released. Yeah right. Thanks to you guys here. She said once it was for her brother then she said in another email it was for her cousin. If you are going to lie make sure you remember what you said stupid. Also her name was Karen Thomas. Her email was Karenthonas and the email that was sent to me was saying that HE has made payment. I know this is the 21st century but are there many men called Karen?
Login to Me Too

Mikaminea
Contributor
Contributor
I am a newbie as a seller on eBay. This happened to me yesterday and I realised this too late. I have sent the item, any ideas if I can get it back?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mikaminea

Contact the post office and see if they can stop it, if not then contact nigeria post.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ElleDobson3
This also has happened to me i sent the item and paid the postage I'm so stressed about it as package was worth a lot of money to me and I was only selling as needed the money! Please can someone tell us both that have been tricked by these people what we can do??
Login to Me Too

Junesfines101
New Community Member

Not to be mean but if you fell for that you can't be too smart...why would you ship something without checking your paypal account first or at least calling them? 

a sucker is born every minute

Login to Me Too

szuriich
Contributor
Contributor

All you need do is to report to the appropriate office,sure you have your items back safely. A friend of mine did was  scam and she got her item delivered back to her safely

Login to Me Too

davina666
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

Im in the same boat., and ive sent more money to get teh item through nigerian customes. 

i have been scammed and im devistated. not to mention broke. 

i cannot believe i didnt read up on this further before selling my item. 

Please, please, any help or suggestions are welcomed. 

thank you

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.