Japanese debit card (MUFG bank) does not show linking code

goldenkiwi
Contributor
Contributor

While my first purchase with my debit card went without a hitch, now that I am trying to use it again I am asked to link the card to my account in order to be able to use it.

I tried doing the procedure as described and although I can see the transaction in both my transactions and card usage history there is no 4-digit, Paypal issued code displayed that would let me verify the card as my own.

My bank is MUFG, and apparently I am not the only user that had this issue before, although no resolution was found in the post I linked below.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Money-Archives/Card-verification-in-Japan/m-p/1716571

Did anyone else manage to link their MUFG-issued debit card to their PayPal account? If so, how did you manage to do it?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @goldenkiwi

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear there's some confusion linking and confirming your card on PayPal. The PayPal code is displayed next to the 200 yen billing amount on your card usage statement. It appears next to "PayPal" in the item description section. For example, in the card statement, "PayPal*1234 CODE" and "PP*1234 ``CODE'' is displayed, the code is ``1234"is.Please allow 2-4 business days for the PayPal code to appear on your online card statement. If you are not using the online card statement, please check the code in the card statement that will be mailed next time.

You're also welcome to reach out to our Customer Support teams here. 

Good luck!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @goldenkiwi

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear there's some confusion linking and confirming your card on PayPal. The PayPal code is displayed next to the 200 yen billing amount on your card usage statement. It appears next to "PayPal" in the item description section. For example, in the card statement, "PayPal*1234 CODE" and "PP*1234 ``CODE'' is displayed, the code is ``1234"is.Please allow 2-4 business days for the PayPal code to appear on your online card statement. If you are not using the online card statement, please check the code in the card statement that will be mailed next time.

You're also welcome to reach out to our Customer Support teams here. 

Good luck!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

goldenkiwi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for confirming that! The code did end up showing after 5 days, for anyone wondering about the delay.

The code appeared in the transaction content column with the format you described, before that it only showed PAYPALWALLET in the same column.

If someone else has this issue in the future, please check that you are using the debit card online statement (accessible at https://debit.bk.mufg.jp) since the account transaction history (accessible at https://direct.bk.mufg.jp/) never got updated.

goldenkiwi_0-1678467137863.png

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.