How do I keep a credit card used on PayPal from permanently linking for future purchases?

cnoonkes
New Community Member

Hi I recently was made aware that any credit cards I’ve used to make payments at businesses or stores thru PayPal sets up an automatic link for future payments. How do I stop this from happening? I was recently hacked on another account and the hackers were able to pay for the products because my credit card was automatically linked to that particular business thru my PayPal account. I would like to continue using PayPal, but don’t want my card to be permanently linked to my account in case this happened again. Am I going to have to automatically unlink it from active to inactive every single time I use it to make a purchase? This also happened with my bank account, but thankfully my bank flagged the purchase and blocked it from going through. As of now I have removed my bank account and credit cards from my account until I find a solution to this automated linking process.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Narendar1
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @cnoonkes 

Thank you for contacting Community forum! I am so sorry to hear about the account hacked and you are card details were used for automatic payments. However, we have no access to manually add you are card/bank details for any automatic payments. It might be possible you must have few subscriptions active on the account and you are card/bank would be set up for those subscriptions and there must be an automatic payments done every month. You do have the option to cancel the subscription/remove the card/bank added to that subscription to avoid future charges. For more details, you can login and contact us so we can help you further. Thank you! 

Narendar1

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.