Sent money to a friend. Her card/bank is inactive. Will this bounce back?

Bugzelot
Contributor
Contributor

So this morning I sent birthday money to a friend. I contacted her later to see if she got a notification and she said no. It shows the transaction in my PP account but it doesn't show in my bank account yet. Usually it would show within a few minutes. She told me the card/bank for that PP account is inactive/expired. Does anybody know if the money will just bounce back to me after a few weeks, or a month or something? Support told me to do a chargeback but I want to wait a bit. Plus as mentioned there is no record of it in my bank yet.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bugzelot 

If the email address was not the one that was linked to her paypal account why didn't you say so?

You stated email was fine but her paypal account didn't have bank or card on it?

The email was fine. But her bank account/card is no longer in existence. 

So I worked with that information. If she doesn't have that email address on her paypal account then she must have another paypal account linked to that email address or the funds would not have SENT/completed.

So her best bet is to contact customer services and see if they can help her access that account / funds.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bugzelot 

What does it say on the transaction on your paypal account?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Bugzelot
Contributor
Contributor

Says "Money Sent". I may have to do a bank chargeback. Maybe. I have to wait until it shows in my bank tho.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bugzelot 

If its saying SENT then it has successfully transferred to the email address you sent the funds to which is linked to an open and active paypal account. So check the email address and make sure it was correct and linked to your friends paypal account (and confirmed).

A chargeback via your card issuer may not work as this was a gift payment and not a payment for goods/services but worth a try.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Bugzelot
Contributor
Contributor

The email was fine. But her bank account/card is no longer in existence. I'll go with the chargeback option once it shows in my account. Thanks for the replies.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bugzelot 

Not having a bank or card linked to her paypal account should not make a difference to receiving the funds (apart from some countries).

As you haven't said which country she is in then I am going to go with the norm and state that as long as she has confirmed her email address the she can receive the funds. The fact it says SENT is saying she has received them. If she had not done so it would show as unclaimed or pending.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Bugzelot
Contributor
Contributor

Yea, the money sent successfully. She just doesn't have access to the Gmail account associated with it, nor does she remember creating it. I have sent to her before but not to this specific account. I guess the money it lost. I may contact my bank, or maybe paypal again to see if the money sits there for so long it can be sent back. I dunno. Just one of those things. Thanks for the replies.

Login to Me Too

Bugzelot
Contributor
Contributor

Been using PP since 2001 and rarely have issues. So I am thankful for that. This is my first time using the forums tho.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bugzelot 

If the email address was not the one that was linked to her paypal account why didn't you say so?

You stated email was fine but her paypal account didn't have bank or card on it?

The email was fine. But her bank account/card is no longer in existence. 

So I worked with that information. If she doesn't have that email address on her paypal account then she must have another paypal account linked to that email address or the funds would not have SENT/completed.

So her best bet is to contact customer services and see if they can help her access that account / funds.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Bugzelot
Contributor
Contributor

The email was fine in that it sent to something. But she didn't have access to the original bank or the email.  She ended up recovering the email account after I found out what it was. Was a PITA just to get that info in Paypal's settings. Something that should be so easy/basic to get doesn't need to be buried so deep in the menu system. This topic is dead now. Take care.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.