PayPal's International Currency Conversion Fee

Ma158
New Community Member

I live and do business in Canada. When I receive payment from a person residing outside of Canada, I receive it in the currency of that country. I then transfer it to my Canadian bank. At that time, Paypal charges me a Currency Conversion Fee. That is fine, but I would like to report the Currency Conversion Fee as a business expense in Canada. Right now, I convert sales in foreign currencies to Canadian dollars at the rate set by the Bank of Canada and report them, so I am not reporting the Currency Conversion Fee charged by Paypal. But I don't know how much Currency Conversion Fee Paypal is taking from me. How can I find out the amount and report it as a business expense? Thank you very much.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

DominicKB
New Community Member

Have you found an answer? I don't think there's a place where they clearly list the conversion fee amounts that they take. All I found is that the amount is 3.5% for Canada and we might have to calculate it ourselves. I'm really tired of how Paypal treats non-US people. They don't let us send US money in a Canadian based USD account, and they don't let us use online banks like Wise to use our preferred conversion rates. They entrap us into their conversion fee that is invisible.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.