Paid to incorrect and nonexistent account

BigEd400
Contributor
Contributor
I used an incorrect address when sending a payment to somebody, twice. What happens to that money sent / designated to a non-existent account? Does it automatically come back to my account within 10 days? Thanks.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BigEd400 

Sounds as if its gone to an email address that is not linked to a paypal account. So they would have had a paypal email telling them to set up a paypal account and claim the funds.

If they do that and claim the funds then you would need to reach out to them and request a refund. If they refuse and you sent the funds using goods/services then you have the option to open a dispute for non receipt of item (as they have nothing to send you).

If you sent the funds using friends/family and it was claimed then you won't have many options rather than requesting them to refund.

Lastly if they do NOT claim the funds by setting up a paypal account to receive them then they should time out at 30 days and go back to your funding source. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BigEd400 

Depends what it says on the transaction ie sent / payment / pending / unclaimed etc? 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

BigEd400
Contributor
Contributor

"Your recipient will have 10 days to create a PayPal account and accept the money. Once they do, we'll transfer it from your account."

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BigEd400 

Sounds as if its gone to an email address that is not linked to a paypal account. So they would have had a paypal email telling them to set up a paypal account and claim the funds.

If they do that and claim the funds then you would need to reach out to them and request a refund. If they refuse and you sent the funds using goods/services then you have the option to open a dispute for non receipt of item (as they have nothing to send you).

If you sent the funds using friends/family and it was claimed then you won't have many options rather than requesting them to refund.

Lastly if they do NOT claim the funds by setting up a paypal account to receive them then they should time out at 30 days and go back to your funding source. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.