Ko-Fi payments

Maddylin
Contributor
Contributor

Does paypal take a fee when accepting ko-fi transactions? For example, some one sent me $6 over Ko-Fi but I only received $5.54 in my paypal.

edit: and the payment was from someone using the same currency as me.

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maddylin 

If you are receiving payments for goods / services then yes you pay a fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Milui
Contributor
Contributor

But from Ko-Fi we recieve onl donations, we donˋt give any service or goods in return. So Paypal shouldnˋt cut off anything...

Login to Me Too

Milui
Contributor
Contributor

This topic could really need more attention I think. What is the communities opinion? It would be great and fair and inside the guidelines of paypal to not cut off a piece from donations. They should be categorized like a gift from friends. People want to help you and most are not aware, that you only get a part of it. E.g. one "coffee" on ko-fi is 3€. If the reciever gets only 2,50 or so, I'd be upset as a donator. And for being the one in need it is a pity seeing the money flow away  when even the smallest amount would definately help you to survive, for your project, or whatever. 

Login to Me Too

Aldric-Cheylan
New Community Member
I'm using Ko-fi as well and yes, goods or donations, PayPal always takes fees. So Ko-fi indeed doesn't take a fee, but PayPal does. And PayPal takes 12% on the price you're supposed to get... It's simply huge. It's not fair at all.
Login to Me Too

SneakyBeastie
Contributor
Contributor

Same situation here

I got 50 USD from Ko-fi.

And Paypal takes 4 dollars of it.

Saw the fee and partner fee on it.

A bit upset about it but at least I got money.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @SneakyBeastie 

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting here!

I understand your concern about the fees for receiving payments to your PayPal account. As per PayPal User Agreement, funds received through the payment types such as 'Donate Button, PayPal Fund Raiser' etc., can be called as 'Donations'. Payments received through other products or services are not considered as 'Donations' and normal pricing will be applicable for these payments. You can learn more about the fees by clicking the 'Fees page' at the bottom of PayPal page. 

Hope this information helps,

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

rainbowstarks
Contributor
Contributor
Ko-fi is sometimes for donations though, not goods and services
Login to Me Too

Emity
Contributor
Contributor

Still a thing… and being in Australia means I don’t even get the choice to use anything else. 

People donate $3, I receive $2.44 and that’s before exchange fees etc. I get it that PP needs to make money but damn. 

Login to Me Too

Himbeerfalter
New Community Member

In Austria wie can only choose PayPal or Stripe… both take fees… why can’t I just use my bank account…

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.