How to reduce PayPal fee when sending money to oversea supplier?

hendiex
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, I need to send money to oversea service provider (their PayPal account) for copywriting and design stuff to pay their service, if I send money through friends and family, the transaction fee is quite high (with a based fee of 4.99 usd per transaction). It becomes very costly if I only need to send 20usd. If I send money as Business, I don’t have any option to bear the receiver side cost. Please help. Thanks!
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hendiex 

Sellers are responsible for paying the PayPal fees on receiving commercial payments. Paying for goods and services is free for the buyer.

If the seller wants you to cover the fees, the least the seller can do professionally is calculate and build the expense into their pricing then send you a PayPal invoice or tell you how much you need to send and all you have to do is just make the goods and services payment.  

PayPal policy may forbid the seller to surcharge up front the PayPal fees but they are allowed to charge a flat rate handling fee for all payment methods they accept so as not to penalize buyers for using PayPal.

There are PayPal fee calculators available for the seller to use that will help them figure it out. The fee chart link is at the bottom of any supported country’s PayPal homepage.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

hendiex
Contributor
Contributor
Hi there, Thanks a lot for your swift advice! Indeed, the receiver are not traditional type of seller, they are local freelancer to provide service. And we send money for them after they provided their service. Another example I saw is that the usertesting.com, they use PayPal to pay their tester (the individual who provide user feedback of a product to earn money) I don’t see the individual is being charged as “seller” like you said for receiving the money from usertesting.com. On the other hand, the user testing.com send small transaction such as 10usd per task, I don’t think they would pay for 4.99 usd as base fee for oversea transaction. So, why usertesting.com can send money with low paypal fee for oversea payment to individual while we can’t enjoy the same benefit? Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.