Fees to send money from UK to US

Thumbell
New Community Member

So whenever my mom sends me money from the UK it says how much it is in GBP and USD as well as the amount that is sent and a confirmation of how much will be received by the recipient. When I receive it, the amount has fees deducted from it but those fees are not displayed to my mom. When I was in the UK sitting at her computer she showed me and sure enough, it stated that the recipient (me) would receive $116.32 but when I got it, a $5.22 fee was deducted. Is there any way to find out what the fee is going to be for a certain sized transaction and is there any way to avoid paying that fee? How can a fee be charged that is not communicated to the sender?

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Thumbell 

There’s no fee to accept friends and family payments except where a currency conversion is involved.

Contact customer services, they can give you more detailed info specific to your transaction upon review:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us      

Click “Message Us” or “Call Us” option on the bottom.   

Or reach out to PayPal at Facebook or Twitter:    

PayPal on Facebook

PayPal on Twitter

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Thumbel1
Contributor
Contributor
Why would you reply on a forum if you don’t actually know the answer? Fees are 5%. At the time of asking this question I could t find the information. I saw the same thing “no fees to family and friends” and yet was being charged a fee. So then I found out yes there is a 5% fee to send money from UK to US where obviously there is a currency conversion because they are different countries with different currencies.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Thumbel1 

You are rude and were given the correct answer so don't expect anymore help on here to explain how it works.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Thumbel1
Contributor
Contributor
Please stop providing wrong advice. By responding when you don’t have the correct information, you prevent access to genuine help from other community members. Regardless of whether this is voluntary, bad advice is worse than no advice.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Thumbel1 

You had the correct advice from BOTH of us, so BYE then  😁

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Thumbel1
Contributor
Contributor
One person gave incorrect advice and another person chimes in to say the previous one was correct and I was rude. Both of you are bullies and poorly informed and need to stop clogging up this forum with your nonsense. So no you don’t get to just say bye because the two of you don’t happen to like the fact I call out your bad advice and seek competent mature advice for myself and future people who may have a similar issue.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Thumbel1 wrote:
Why would you reply on a forum if you don’t actually know the answer? Fees are 5%. At the time of asking this question I could t find the information. I saw the same thing “no fees to family and friends” and yet was being charged a fee. So then I found out yes there is a 5% fee to send money from UK to US where obviously there is a currency conversion because they are different countries with different currencies.

Then your mom must’ve sent you a goods and services payment. Otherwise there’s no fees to send money (friends and family) domestically with bank account or PayPal balance and no fee to receive unless there’s a currency conversion (int’l payment). I was speaking on general terms as I don’t know the ALL details behind your transaction. In fact no one here knows, we only work off of what you say. I now see you have a business account too so if your mom paid into your business account it has to be a goods and service payment that charges 5% fees because business accounts can’t receive personal payments. 

If she paid into your personal account as goods and services, not a friends and family payment then yes, you will be charged fees as a goods and service payment and the fee you paid won’t show on your mom’s end because it’s none of the buyer/sender’s business what amount of fees a merchant/seller paid on a goods and service payment.

If your Mom specifically sent a personal payment and you were charge a goods and service fee incorrectly, please contact customer service to have them take a look and get it refunded.

Was there any mention of buyer protection on your mon’s end? Was there mention of seller protection on your end? That’s how you can tell if payment was classified as a goods and service payment.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sharpiemarker 

They are too rude to want to learn methinks.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Thumbel1
Contributor
Contributor
Hi. Thanks for taking the time to reply unfortunately you reference no charge to send money domestically. UK to US is not “domestic”. These are different counties with different currencies so a lot of the information you provided doesn't relate to my specific question.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.