money sent to wrong account

Lynder
Contributor
Contributor

I was sending money friends & family , but I accidentally sent the money to someone else's PayPal account due to a mistype. Is there any way I can get my money back?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lynder 

Is it showing as SENT or unclaimed?

If unclaimed with a cancel option then cancel it, if its just unclaimed then as long as they don't claim it then it would time out at 30 days.

However if its SENT then reach out to the 'wrong' email address recipient and request that they refund the funds as it was a mistake and hope you have sent it to an honest person.

If they refuse then your only option would be if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you however its unlikely as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lynder 

Is it showing as SENT or unclaimed?

If unclaimed with a cancel option then cancel it, if its just unclaimed then as long as they don't claim it then it would time out at 30 days.

However if its SENT then reach out to the 'wrong' email address recipient and request that they refund the funds as it was a mistake and hope you have sent it to an honest person.

If they refuse then your only option would be if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you however its unlikely as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MissysWorld
Contributor
Contributor
How do you check if it's unclaimed? I went to my activity and I don't see a cancel option.
Login to Me Too

Chipster101
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, I sent $150 to the wrong PayPal account. Hoping the person is honest and will return the money. Wrote to them via PayPal but so far no response. You might think PayPal could help you contact the person and help determine if there was an error. Unfortunately the person who got the funds has a nearly identical PayPal ID to the person that was supposed to get the money. I will report back if I get the money returned.

Login to Me Too

JordanV1914
New Community Member

I have the same problem. Have you founded a solution

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @JordanV1914

Thanks for joining the PayPal Community, and welcome! 

I'm sorry to hear you accidentally sent the payment to the wrong account. A great Help Center article you may find useful is: What can I do if I sent a payment to the wrong person?

I hope you receive a refund! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.