Transaction refunded and after again deducted

BelgianB
Contributor
Contributor

I cancelled a transaction from an online retailer and they refunded me the 27th of november. On November 28 I received the refund into my account but the very next day on the 29th of november the amount was again deducted. What I think happened is the refund came quicker then the time it had to be deducted. Normally the amount first comes off your account and after you get a refund. Somewhere I think there was a glitch in the system or an error. It’s incredibly frustrating because PayPal suggests to lodge a claim for the new deduction but there is only one transaction. They don’t quite understand the issue or send a standard reply even though I sent them screenshots of my bank account and the transaction I am referring to.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

BelgianB
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry you are absolutely right. Thank you for your answer. I only saw the credit and then the debit and was confused 😐 I have a huger amount of PayPal transactions so I think I lost track when I quickly browsed trough them.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BelgianB 

If you funded the payment to the seller using bank transfer. What PayPal do here is credit the recipient on your behalf (so there is no delay in despatching your item). Then if you receive a refund in the meantime they are unable to issue this until the original bank transfer completes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

BelgianB
Contributor
Contributor
Yes usually the amount has to be deducted I only use PayPal so I have lots and lots of transactions. Usually it comes like you say first of my bank account and after they credited it. Now it credited my bank account and got deducted again so the question is does the amount come back now to my account as it shows as refunded by the online retailer. PayPal suggested lodging a dispute according to me this is something that does not happen often.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BelgianB 

If you had a CREDIT first and then a DEBIT then you are back to even again and it worked like I said above.

If you had x1 debit and x1 credit (in any order) then you are back to how it should be and have lost 0 money.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

BelgianB
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry you are absolutely right. Thank you for your answer. I only saw the credit and then the debit and was confused 😐 I have a huger amount of PayPal transactions so I think I lost track when I quickly browsed trough them.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.