75 days open case, chargeback cancelled, money withdrawn by paypal

kumptronics303
Contributor
Contributor

I've had 2 transaction from the same person by mistake, one has been cancelled and the money was refunded. The refund took longer (on the side of paypal), so the person made a chargeback claim but the credit card company confused the transaction and made a chargeback for the second transaction (the amount of both transactions was the same). 
After the person noticed it, he instantly informed me about it and took care about it with his credit card company to cancel the chargeback which they did.

In the meantime, Paypal opened a case, and withdrew this amount from my balance, this has been on 12. May. I've uploaded the documents I received from that person from the credit card company, where they confirm that the chargeback has been cancelled. I am now waiting since 76 days for a not so small amount of Money which paypal withdrew after the chargeback claim. I've uploaded the documents and there is no way to directly contact paypal to solve this issue. Paypal is the most frustrating company ever whenever you run into the smallest problem which shouldn't even be a problem, it's ridiculous. They just keep money for 60 days+ which isn't their money first place, despite uploading proof that this problem has long been solved between both parties.. 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kumptronics303 

This is only guessing but as you can open a credit card chargeback up to 180 days and you have already opened and closed x1 then paypal may think that there is a risk that you may open a second one so they are holding funds until 180 days are up?

Other than that all I can suggest is contacting them again and asking?

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kumptronics303
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply, it's just a bit strange, they say it takes "up to 75 days" for a solution, that's for me a deadline and a "worst scenario" case, when no solution is found between both parties. But obviously there has been a solution and everything has been sorted long ago, and yet they don't bother to give MY money back and close the case.

"After reviewing the info we received, we were unable to cover this payment and have debited *** EUR from your PayPal balance. We’ll attempt to recover this amount from the buyer’s financial institution. If we’re able to recover the payment, the money will be credited back to your balance. It could take up to 75 days for us to get a resolution."

The chargeback claim from the credit card company was made on 12. May, the amount was put on hold from paypal on 16. May and the chargeback also happened on 16. May. The document from the credit card company which I've uploaded within the case states that the amount was transferred back to paypal (basically to my account) on 16. May also, since the credit card holder cancelled the chargeback claim due to the mix up between the two transactions.
I have uploaded these documents and the money was transferred back to me from the credit card company, so I am wondering what Paypal is doing with MY money for 2 months and what takes them so long to close the case? 

I'll try to call them on Monday and hope I'll talk to a human, but in my experience calling paypal and talking with Robots doesn't lead to anywhere 😕

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @kumptronics303

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry to hear that you're affected by the waiting period for a chargeback case that was opened by the buyer. I know that can be frustrating. I have some information that can shed some light on the reason for the delay.

A chargeback case is decided by the issuing bank of the buyer's credit card. The entire process from start to finish can take around 75 days. In accordance with regulations, communication between the bank and PayPal regarding the chargeback is all done through carefully managed and recorded channels, and there is no way to expedite or sidestep the process. PayPal cannot close out the case until the bank makes its determination and sends the communication through those specific channels to PayPal and releases the funds for the transaction back to PayPal.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. 

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

kumptronics303
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I understand that things can take longer sometimes, specially in disputes where buyer and seller don't agree and there is a "real" problem involved with fraud etc.. This hasn't been the case here, uploading the documents from the bank where they state and sign that they have returned the amount of the chargeback to my account on date x at will from the buyer, also confirmation from the buyer that it was a chargeback claim by accident mixing up to transactions with the same amount.

I don't think that this 75 day timeframe is justified in any way in this case and it looks more like paypal was holding back the money on purpose without reason other than probably getting interest on money they put on hold/withdraw from people's balances.

The amount was transferred back to my balance yesterday, so pretty much exactly 75 days after they withdrew it from my balance. It looks more like a "you'll receive your money back after 75 days, independent on the actual date of the resolution" practice than "it can take up to 75 days to find a resolution. The resolution has been found between the buyer/his bank and me on 16th of May, when they returned the chargback to me.

case closed, money back on my balance, nevertheless this leaves a very foul taste after being a long time paypal client with one dispute (this one) over all the years.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.