Refund Failed

samjamieson
Contributor
Contributor

My customer paid for an item which was not available immediately and the customer requested a refund which I did immediately on 29th July.

Today my customer gets a 'The refund for your transaction failed' message?!!  I check Paypal myself and it states the refund is sent, but the balance for the transaction is still there as my Paypal balance.  I have no idea whatsoever why this has happened and how I rectify it?

Needless to say I'm not happy as my poor customer has been without his money since 29th July which isn't acceptable. 

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Sam

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@samjamieson 

When you receive a payment you pay a fee, if you issue a refund then that fee is not returned as part of the refund given.

So if you did not have the full amount in your paypal balance + the fee amount then paypal would take the funds from your linked bank account.

If not enough in that bank account the refund would fail. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

samjamieson
Contributor
Contributor
Oh so PayPal still charge you even if you don’t make the sale! I didn’t realise that! That’s definitely worth some serious thought. Thank you ever so much for your reply.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.