Missing refund through Facebook messenger

eckorecord
New Community Member

Ok here goes, I sent money to a friend through Facebook messenger to buy a vehicle from her, 2 payments for $500 and 1 for $100 totalling $1100.. all of which was takin from my PayPal balance (which is linked to my Facebook messenger account) and sent to her PayPal balance. I ended up finding a better deal for a car a few days later and asked for the money back. She then called PayPal and they walked her through how to issue a refund for all 3 payments, which she did, and even sent screenshots of her activity saying that all 3 payments were refunded back to Meta Pay (Facebook messengers payment company) which my name is attached to it. Well on MY PayPal those transactions don't say they were refunded they just say I've successfully sent them to her, and the same goes for the transaction history on both of our Facebook Pay activity pages. So neither of our Facebook pays activity say any of those 3 payments were ever refunded. The only thing that says the money was refunded is on HER PAYPAL . It's been almost a month now and still haven't recieved a penny. Facebook pay is an absolute nightmare trying to explain anything to them and PayPal says it's a meta pay problem ... I don't know what to do 😞

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @eckorecord,

Welcome to our community help forum and thanks for posting!

I do understand your concern about the refunds. PayPal will always notify you if there's any update with the payments sent by you. If the receiver refunded the payment through PayPal, you will receive an email from PayPal about the refunded payment. The status of the payment will shows as refunded in the activity page of your PayPal account. As all payments sent through the Facebook platform are treated as personal payments, and they do not offer buyer protection. If there's no update about the refunded payment nor the status shows as refunded, you need to contact the receiver or Facebook support to get the refund.

I hope this information helps!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

2023QBMS2023
Contributor
Contributor
Eckorecord, sorry to hear about your problem! Did your friend ever get her money back? Similarthing just happened to me but the opposite. Someone paid me a small sum about week ago via meta pay, which is linked to my account. Today, I refunded back to the original sender. The sender didn’t receive the money. All I see in my transaction history is “refunded to Meta Pay” with no mention of the original sender’s name. However, oddly enough when this person sent over the fund the week prior it showed the name of the sender in the transaction. Curious what happened with the money? Did you call Meta looking for your refund? Looks like there is a technical issue between the two companies and money is lost in black hole.
Login to Me Too

Michellewalla
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the same exact situation I sent 1185 to my boyfriend Friends and Family option through MetaPay Messenger. It instantly cancelled saying error but it was deducted and sent as money sent complete out of my PayPal Balance account. MetaPay said they refunded it hat day June 29th and PayPal said they completed it and they cannot do anything about it, but Meta claims it was a decline after they authorized payment, PayPal is the reason. So they said refund is also PayPal issue they are not allowing it or blocking refund they sent it fine, now 34 days gone by. My money is being blamed on other company from each side, and after the 3oth day PayPal status on the payment changed to Hold on Dispute, chargeback, or reversal but PayPal claims that means nothing. Money still nowhere to be found. Has anyone had any resolution I am really frustrated and already sent a couple complaints in awaiting the results, to see who they get to pay the amount back no protection under Paypal Balance they said. Seems so crazy nobody could careless its not just 100 bucks its 1200 they have of mine I considered basically stolen now. 

Login to Me Too

notcool464

Same thing happened to me!!! Sent my roommate $530 dollars and her CLOSED mind you account immediately accepted the money. When we requested the refund and they confirmed that they sent it with a transaction id number and everything on their end so its not their problem and will do nothing yet meta pay nor my account shows it nor received it. Tried to dispute it but was denied. This is straight up absurd!! Any one who may have some insight PLEASE LET ME KNOW. i DONT even use pay pal and for sure for sure will never use it or recommend it. Money doesnt just vanish.. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @notcool464 and everyone! 

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! 

I understand you recently sent money to your roommate through Facebook and PayPal, but she never received it. I apologize for the frustration this has caused, and I hope I can provide some clarification. When you send a payment using Facebook (Meta), the payment is sent a little differently than if it was sent just from PayPal to PayPal. In this situation, the payment would have been sent from your PayPal to Facebook's, and then Facebook would have automatically forwarded that payment to your friend. That's why the payment most likely shows completed successfully on your side. If her account was closed, the payment Facebook sent to her should have been unclaimed. An unclaimed payment automatically returns to the sender after 30 days. If the account was still open, then the payment likely deposited into her account and she'd need to reach out to Customer Support for assistance accessing it. 

To file a dispute, you'll want to reach out to Facebook. They handle all disputes related to Facebook payments. I found a few Help Center articles on Facebook that will hopefully point you in the right direction. Feel free to click on How Purchase Protection works on Facebook and I'm having an issue with something I purchased on Facebook Marketplace to visit their Help Center. 

I hope this information helps you obtain a refund! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.