Account balance used instead of credit card for online purchase

SeaWolf_83
Contributor
Contributor
I just made a purchase from an online retailer and checked out with PayPal, and I specifically chose my credit card for the payment. After the transaction was finalized, I see that it split the payment between my credit card and my PayPal account balance. I did not choose to split the payment this way and did not authorize the use of my account balance. I'm wondering how this happened, and how can I prevent it from happening again? It is very frustrating for my payments to not be applied as directed.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

ConnieG55
Contributor
Contributor
Me too ! I received 524. 00 from a settlement pay pal put it in my PayPal balance . I was never notified . Two weeks later I saw I had a pay pal balance of 150.00 I researched it and saw I recieved this payment they used the money to pay purchases despite I have bank verification and use my card or account . Not fair
Login to Me Too

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @SeaWolf_83,

Thank you for your post!

I do understand your frustration with this. If you have funds on your PayPal balance, they will always be chosen as your primary funding source unless you choose otherwise. 

If you don't want to use your PayPal balance for a purchase, you need to manually choose the bank/card you want to use at the checkout. 

To update your preferred funding source, simply follow the steps here

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.