More about confirmation delivery fee on PayPal

4oldtimesandnew
Contributor
Contributor

How can PayPal charge for Delivery Confirmation on packages that the USPS says are not eligible for Del. Conf.?  I always use Deliv. Conf. on items that are eligible, but large envelopes do not qualify.  Also, Deliv. Conf. is free with Priority Mail!  This .19 fee quickly adds up!

I would like to see a response from the PayPal Administration as to how and when this will be resolved.

I tried to print my shipping and postage from the USPS site, but I wanted to ship by Media rate, and that wasn't an option.  Can anyone suggest a good site to use for printing postage?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

bewiched22
New Community Member

Delivery confirmation and signature confirmation are both definitely available for media mail. Your postal clerk was misinformed. They are not available for printing through the usps website, but are through the paypal website. The fee for delivery confirmation on anything but Priority (which is free), is .19 cents I think. Delivery confirmation is NOT available for a first class "flat". If a "flat" exceeds 3/4 inch thick, or is uneven in thickness by 1/4 inch, then it becomes a first class parcel (up to 13 oz,then it goes to parcel post or priority). So, technically if you have a 1/2 inch "flat" and you want to add delivery confirmation to it, crumple up a couple pages of newspaper in the envelope so the envelope isn't even in thickness anymore and can be considered a parcel--thus allowing the delivery confirmation for the .19 fee through paypal.

Hope it helps,

Your friendly Postal Employee

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

PayPal_Olivia

Welcome to the forums, 4oldtimesandnew!

Your large envelope sent First-Class Mail is indeed eligible for Delivery Confirmation. Delivery Confirmation with First-Class Mail Parcel applies only to boxes or envelopes measuring at least 3/4 inch at thickest point.

You are not charged the $0.19 for Priority mail printed through PayPal, and if Signature Confirmation is selected and purchased on any other method, Delivery Confirmation is included for free.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

4oldtimesandnew
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response to my question - I'm glad to know that large envelopes (also referred to as "flats" by the USPS) do qualify for delivery confirmation.  However, the package I was sending that prompted my question was going by Media Rate, which is considered a type of Parcel Post, and from what I read on the USPS web site (and confirmed by an employee at my local post office) , does not qualify for delivery conf.  The post office employee did tell me that according to her observations, most often the non-qualifying items slipped through the system without detection (or maybe were quietly ignored?), but occasionaly an item was returned to the sender as having an inappropriate service added to it.  This of course would mean a delay in delivery (not good for feedback) and additional cost in shipping (not good for the seller).  The immediate practical solution seems to be to just add another layer of bubble wrap to increase the thickness of the package to make it eligible for the service.

A good day to all!

Ann

Login to Me Too

4oldtimesandnew
Contributor
Contributor

This is a P.S. to the above reply - I forgot to mention that the weight of the item in question exceeded the allowable wt. for First Class, so that wasn't an option.  Also, I'm glad to know there is no additional charge on the Priority Rate choice.  This is what I more often use, printing through PayPal, with no problem.  I guess when I saw the .19 charge in place when I choose Media Rate, I assumed (incorrectly) that the .19 charge was a new fee included across the board. 

So, in conclusion, there is no need for panic!

Ann

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi 4oldtimesandnew,

Thank you for coming back with that extra info and to let me know I eased your fears.

I did check at the USPS website, and Delivery Confirmation is a service available for Media Mail.

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/mediamail.htm

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too
Solved

bewiched22
New Community Member

Delivery confirmation and signature confirmation are both definitely available for media mail. Your postal clerk was misinformed. They are not available for printing through the usps website, but are through the paypal website. The fee for delivery confirmation on anything but Priority (which is free), is .19 cents I think. Delivery confirmation is NOT available for a first class "flat". If a "flat" exceeds 3/4 inch thick, or is uneven in thickness by 1/4 inch, then it becomes a first class parcel (up to 13 oz,then it goes to parcel post or priority). So, technically if you have a 1/2 inch "flat" and you want to add delivery confirmation to it, crumple up a couple pages of newspaper in the envelope so the envelope isn't even in thickness anymore and can be considered a parcel--thus allowing the delivery confirmation for the .19 fee through paypal.

Hope it helps,

Your friendly Postal Employee

Login to Me Too

4oldtimesandnew
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the additional input about using delivery conf.  I really like to use it on every shipment so I know the package arrived and when.  And yes, after talking further with the local postal clerk, I figured out that the only real problem was that the item has to be classified as a package, as opposed to a flat, and she even suggested as you did - put in a bit more stuffing to get over that 3/4" rule.  It shouldn't add to wt. and hey, it's a bit more protection for the item!    I did find also that the postal service Click 'nShip (printing postage online) is more limited in what it allows you to do than PayPal.  All these little (but important) details take a while to figure out!  Hopefully these posts will help speed up the learning curve for other "newbies"!

Login to Me Too

brianrd
New Community Member

How do you turn off Delivery Confirmation?

Login to Me Too

4oldtimesandnew
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think that is an option when purchasing postage on PayPal.  Someone please correct me if this is incorrect info.

Login to Me Too

tafn8r
New Community Member

I am a "newbie" with occasional thick envelopes and small boxes and use paypal only for the postage from home benefits.  I tried everything to figure out why I was being charged .19c for delivery confirmation when I had not asked for it and did not see anywhere that it was included by USPS on 1st Class mail.  After reviewing this community board (thanks for all the great info everyone!), I believe I have learned that the 19cents cannot be removed, but that USPS may or may not actually confirm delivery.  That .19c WILL add up quickly!!  Any thoughts on alternative postage from home methods to avoid this charge?   Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.