Instant purchases require a credit card be linked to my account?

Nicole1984
Contributor
Contributor

I started my PayPal account with my checking account. I do not have a debit card. I want to purchase a computer online, but when I try to pay with my account, even though I have more than the necessary balance, it tells me that in order to make an instant purchase, I must have a credit card linked to my PayPal account. Why is this necessary if I have enough money in my PayPal account to begin with?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

JBAmos
Contributor
Contributor

Consider this a strong security measure (to protect you, the buyer). If you add a Credit Card (VISA, AMEX, MasterCard), you will have a vehicle to go back on (through your credit card company) if the item purchased is for example: Not what you thought it was, never received, damaged in transit...

If you've ever been burned by a seller, especially on a high ticket item; you will want this extra security !

Login to Me Too

alexander444
New Community Member

I do not understand this answer. As long as my balance is higher than the amount I have to pay, the payment would be debited from my paypal balance and not from my credit/debit card so where is the extra security?

Anyway, what can people like me do, who do not want to enter a credit/debit card information. I just loaded my paypal account per moneypak to avoid linking my credit card or bank account and now this sh...

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@alexander444 wrote:

I do not understand this answer. As long as my balance is higher than the amount I have to pay, the payment would be debited from my paypal balance and not from my credit/debit card so where is the extra security?

If you buy from a non-ebay seller, the seller can send you a rock in the box and you'll have no buyer protection.

You only get "Not as described" protection with ebay purchases.

Login to Me Too

Minipole
New Community Member

Can you make an instant purchase using your PayPal account by linking your bank account instead of adding a credit/ debit card? I'm asking this because, like the original poster to this topic, I don't have a credit/ debit card.

If not, what's the point on having a PayPal account? PayPal in this case would only be like another middleman when someone could just use there credit/ debit card directly to make a payment.

Login to Me Too

MetalMike
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having issues as well. I submitted money via MoneyPak and I have no checking account. What's the f^cking purpose then? PayPal robbed me of my 20 dollars. I suggest that everyone withdrawal the money and close their accounts to this sh!tty @ss service.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.