PayPal keeps refusing my debit cards

PaulIvan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

For the past few days I have been trying to make various payments through PayPal and for some reason it keeps refusing my cards blaming the card issuers. I'm saying "cards" and "issuers" because I have tried making payments from two different accounts with two different debit cards from different bank issuers. Simply judging by that, I wouldn't blame it on the bank issuer anymore. 

I would also like to add the fact that it seems to work just fine if I use a credit card instead. 

Is there a certain amount of money that you're allowed to spend in a certain timeframe and have I exceeded it? Otherwise, I cannot really explain myself what the problem could be since not that long ago, approximately 3-4 days ago, I was perfectly able to make payments from the cards that are being refused now...

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Sophie

Hi PaulIvan,

Welcome to the Community Forum! Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with making payments using your card.

When trying to make a payment, if you receive the error message that you've described, it's due to your card issuer declining our attempts to use your card, as it states.

I can understand that this must be frustrating if it's happening with two different cards, but when this type of denial occurs, we at PayPal don't see an exact reason for it. However, a few common reasons for this error message are that your card issuer has blocked our usage of your card for security reasons, or there is not enough available balance.

I would suggest contacting the online payments department at your card's issuing bank, and asking to speak with someone there, as the general customer support are likely to advise you that there are no issues with the card. Once you've rectified any issues they may be having, please try adding the card again.

I hope this information helps, but let us know if you have any additional questions at all

Sophie

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sounds odd. 

Think your best bet is to contact customer services. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Sophie

Hi PaulIvan,

Welcome to the Community Forum! Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with making payments using your card.

When trying to make a payment, if you receive the error message that you've described, it's due to your card issuer declining our attempts to use your card, as it states.

I can understand that this must be frustrating if it's happening with two different cards, but when this type of denial occurs, we at PayPal don't see an exact reason for it. However, a few common reasons for this error message are that your card issuer has blocked our usage of your card for security reasons, or there is not enough available balance.

I would suggest contacting the online payments department at your card's issuing bank, and asking to speak with someone there, as the general customer support are likely to advise you that there are no issues with the card. Once you've rectified any issues they may be having, please try adding the card again.

I hope this information helps, but let us know if you have any additional questions at all

Sophie

Login to Me Too

PaulIvan
Contributor
Contributor

I think you may be right; perhaps the bank issuer has blocked the usage of the card for online payments. 
I tried, as you said, removing the card and adding it again, however, this time it wouldn't even accept it. I keep getting the following message "Sorry, we can't add this card. Please try adding a different card to your account."

I hate dealing with banks, but I assume it's the only option.

Thank you for your help. 

Login to Me Too

checu
New Community Member

Or maybe you do not have funds for the verification of the card. 

Thiomas

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.