Scam on ebay with buying bitcoins

rubbol
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I m a new seller on ebay and i sell bitcoins,

the following occured on the first day,  i sell 5 items and within 2 hours two different people 

open a claim on unauthorized use of their accounts after they received the bitcoins from me.

Paypal takes the money on hold and start a 'investigation' so they call it.

I uploaded all info i got from the buyer like bitcoinadress messages like thank you i received the bitcoins etc.

After a few days first case get s closed and they took the money and give it back to the buyer which also has my bitcoins.

So know im **bleep**, i started my own investigation and after a few minutes tracking the bitcoins where they went 

i found out both the different people send the bitcoins to the same adress  so or they know each other and work together 

or the 2 persons are just one person.

Paypal does nothing else then protecting the buyers (scammers) and just take my money and give me the responsibillty

that someone else losses his passwords or gets hacked ' or just scams ' 

If you have the same thing happend to you please let me know 

i have a screen with over 15 payments from sellers to those two people maybe we can stand together to get our money back from paypal.

And i hope someone can help me figuring out to prevend people from scamming me this way.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

JammyJimmy
Contributor
Contributor
I'm now asking for a copy of a utility bill or driving licence to prove address before I send anything again. If it's a company, I want an email from their company email account to authorise the purchase. Addresses matching on eBay and PayPal is NOT enough as they matched in my case. Half the problem is caused by stupid buyers having the same simple password on both. Also genuine account holders can still say that they didn't place the order which they do AFTER you send the coins - funny that! One address is near me so, me and some lads are going to pay them a visit!
Login to Me Too

JammyJimmy
Contributor
Contributor
The temptation of eBay is higher selling prices than an exchange.
Login to Me Too

bretatiyeh
Contributor
Contributor
That should not be tempting. Think about it, why in the world would anyone pay you a higher price on eBay and they could get it for on the open market. That says scam. If you sell crypto on eBay, you deserve to lose your money . Which you will . Please send in a bit coin you do not want to my address below, any size gift excepted, LOL !
Login to Me Too

therealjayvi
Contributor
Contributor
Well in my situation I live in a state where crypto is insanely locked down by our legislature, so while everybody else in the world is able to openly buy/sell and be a member on any one of the exchanges, if you happen to live in my state you are completely and totally S.O.L. The moment I try to validate myself on any of Poloniex, Coinbase, Cryptopia, etc. I am instantly informed that I am permanently not allowed to use these services. So the allure of being able to finally potentially have an option to be a part of the crypto scene by way of a platform I am familiar and comfortable with is what led me to wanting to sell crypto on eBay. It's really not all that easy for ANYBODY to buy/sell crypto online, just keep that in mind. Oh yeah, update on my cases on PayPal: they've closed 2/3 cases in the fraudulent buyers favor, and I've been able to appeal for them both and got them opened back up. Another two weeks go by and now they've permanently closed one case in his favor for $1535 and even charged me an extra $20 for "charge back fees" lol. Advice for anybody who got **bleep**ed like this: begin recording each and every interaction you have with PayPal. They record us, so do it back, just make sure to let them know at the beginning of the call otherwise it won't be admissable in court. I've opened a civil case against PayPal for advocating the use of illegal activities such as fraud. In fact, in my state anything involving identity theft in the amount over $1500 is considered a Class A Felony; wonder how they're going to do considering I've lost 4x that amount now to this, all within the span of a few days. I'm also opening a class action lawsuits against PayPal for advocating the use of their platform to openly promote the use of Fraud and Identity Theft. I'll reply with the link for everybody to sign if they'd like to fight against this disgusting corporation that needs to have their tables turned on them finally. Get a lawyer, record interactions, open civil court cases (fees are at most $20-$30 to do so), they can't win against the entirety of the community fighting them all at once. Let's put an end to this.
Login to Me Too

Mqshkov
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. If anything things might have gone worse because more people are aware of the scam now. I listed o,1 litecoins on ebay and had 7 purchases in 1 hour. Until the end of day 6 of them was disputed as unauthorized transactions. All from reputable ebay users with 100% rating from 50 to 400, 5-15 year old accounts, verified PP accounts, all legit. All from the US. The next days I started listing smaller amounts o,o2 o,o1  LTC again but in quantities of 1 just to see how deep the hole is. Very fast sales, all reported as breached accounts hours later of course. Have only 2 sales without cases yet. It's really sad, I mean its like 0.50$-3$ Lol. Some even write to you explaining how bad they feel that someone used their account to steal from you, I think they do it as some sort of ebay protection. I dont believe that is actually possible to breach a ebay/paypal account and then go on ebay and start buying 0.50$ stuff with it. No one is that stupid. Next thing I will try is making my listings not visible in the USA, see how other countries are.

So beware, the scam rates are unbelievable. If you decide to try it start small, don't list big amounts.

Login to Me Too

JammyJimmy
Contributor
Contributor
It's no better in the UK. When I listed 80 lots of 0.01 ETH, all sold within the hour to 6 different buyers - all were scams, but PayPal supported me after I sent Blockchain proof of sending. The hard thing is that eBay/PayPal addresses matched and the scams reported over a week later. I've now relisted asking for proof of ID and address, but no sales - funny that! The best thing is to NOT sell crypto at all on eBay. It's a lot of work refunding them all and only a handful of cases will be in your favour.
Login to Me Too

Mqshkov
Contributor
Contributor

So I have e few people who really vigorously claim that they have no idea who purchased this from their account, they send me like 7 emails, blah blah, I'm sorry, I really don't know, blah blah. I mean it's too much effort for 9$ worth of LTC. What do you guys think is the chance of those accounts being actually really hacked? 

Login to Me Too

JammyJimmy
Contributor
Contributor
In my experience, the chance of accounts being hacked is 95% and the 5% is dishonest buyers so scam rate is 100% - sorry. eBay offer no protection for sellers and PayPal is a very long process often taking weeks. In other words... don't sell on eBay!
Login to Me Too

therealjayvi
Contributor
Contributor
Lol you are ridiculously misinformed, 95% hacked are you joking? Both eBay and PayPal have an entire department and staff tasked to prevent just this sort of thing from happening. Have you ever logged into another account? I have, and just because you log in doesn't mean you win and can spend all you want, these days consider yourself lucky if you even make it to the landing page. So your idea that 95% are actually hacked accounts is the most ignorant nonsense I've heard this entire time. Don't spread ideas when you have no idea what you're talking about. Lol and where did u pull those statistics from anyway? The public ledger of openly communicative hacker for hire search board? Lolol
Login to Me Too

Brenning

Hi,

I'm in the same boat at the moment, have blockchain proof etc. but paypal refusing to decide in my (sellers) favour for a faily large about (circa 3k). My accounts currently in negative balance. How was it that paypal supported you? Exactly what evidence did you provide?

Lesson learned on my side big time but i can't afford for these transactions to be reversed (about 4 in total).

Brenning

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.