Scam on ebay with buying bitcoins

rubbol
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I m a new seller on ebay and i sell bitcoins,

the following occured on the first day,  i sell 5 items and within 2 hours two different people 

open a claim on unauthorized use of their accounts after they received the bitcoins from me.

Paypal takes the money on hold and start a 'investigation' so they call it.

I uploaded all info i got from the buyer like bitcoinadress messages like thank you i received the bitcoins etc.

After a few days first case get s closed and they took the money and give it back to the buyer which also has my bitcoins.

So know im **bleep**, i started my own investigation and after a few minutes tracking the bitcoins where they went 

i found out both the different people send the bitcoins to the same adress  so or they know each other and work together 

or the 2 persons are just one person.

Paypal does nothing else then protecting the buyers (scammers) and just take my money and give me the responsibillty

that someone else losses his passwords or gets hacked ' or just scams ' 

If you have the same thing happend to you please let me know 

i have a screen with over 15 payments from sellers to those two people maybe we can stand together to get our money back from paypal.

And i hope someone can help me figuring out to prevend people from scamming me this way.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

Tj89
Contributor
Contributor
Honestly, it could be the PayPal staff who's going around buying people's bitcoin. Have you ever thought about that? I got scammed alot... learned it the hard way. I totally agree with all of you. Bitcoin is not a virtual goods, it's a digital currency. It's money. Oh my god, if they said they don't cover intangible "goods", why are they covering "buyer's" money??? They didn't pay cash, digital money is intangible too! Hypocrits, I bet PayPal is in a same bed as the scammers, they only care about money...its a business after all. NEVER AGAIN.
Login to Me Too

JammyJimmy
Contributor
Contributor

The misleading part is the PayPal email saying that you have seller protection when you actually don't. You may notice that eBay forces you to a classified advert if you use the CORRECT category, but a lot of crypto sellers use the mining category to sell crypto which is WRONG. You don't have a leg to stand on as you're breaking the rules by listing in the wrong category. Since classified adverts on eBay sell close to market price, it just ain't worth it.

This is how I got stung:

0.8 ETH (sold as 80x 0.01 ETH units at £9.99 each).

6 different buyers (all scammers) bought multiples at £9.99 each - so paid in separate £9.99 payments.

All 80x were scams and I had to refund 33x at a total of £329.67.

The other 47x were all chargebacks at £9.99 refund PLUS £14 chargeback fee at a total of £1,127.53.

31x of those chargebacks were over 2 months after the sale!

Total loss was over £1000 including my 0.8 ETH which can't be recovered.

It was also an enormous amount of work responding to 80x individual PayPal cases.

If you have any crypto on eBay right now, end the listings immediately as you WILL get stung!

Just DON'T sell crypto on eBay as "Buy It Now" or auction, you have to use classifieds and NOT make a profit by flipping - it's as simple as that.

Login to Me Too

therealjayvi
Contributor
Contributor
**bleep** that's crazy unfortunate! 80+ cases over the span of a few months?! See, with something as drastic as that you'd think after the first five or so that somebody up the chain of command would take notice that hmmm something's not right here. But nope, that's way too much credit for 95% of the phone support. Every time I call I get somehow the same sounding **bleep** who is just ignorant as **bleep** like it's her first day EVERY DAY "ohh I see here that I actually need to get you to the security department" well no **bleep** **bleep** that's why I told you to transfer me first thing!! Anyways, what I've began doing now for every instance when I call PayPal is record THEM just as you know they do us. And make it known! After all my headaches and losses because of these situations (totalling well above $5k in direct losses) they tried to ban my account for "breaking terms of service". It's been a nightmare but I think my account has finally stabilized after these started happening in April this year. So my advice for anybody going through it to do the following: A) Record all interactions with PayPal B) Before even giving your name make sure to make it blatantly clear that you are recording them and ask their permission to continue, make them state their name and which department they work in (repeat as necessary as they escalate you through each of the 9000 departments C) Timestamp each recording and name drop whenever a representative contradicts what some other rep has told you, HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR FALSE PROMISES D) Be as assertive as possible while keeping it real, they are people too and it's not like they intentionally want to **bleep** you, they just don't care when it happens. If you want something done then refuse to hang up until you get what you need done (within reason of course) With two of my cases (for $1300 and $1500) I have even been able to convince one of the higher up staff to release the payment back to me with the understanding that if I lose that the money would have to come back out again. Which ultimately sucks because it almost feels like you're being robbed a second time when it happens, but it was nice to be able to instantly move the funds elsewhere for withdrawal as opposed to having absolutely nothing to work with. Best of luck to anybody else that cfinds their way to this page. Start mining instead of selling, not a bad alternative as I've come to find out!
Login to Me Too

DiggemDeep
New Community Member

Read a lot.  Simply put.... Look like selling crypto on Ebay is risky at best.

I would ask anyone thinking of Selling Bitcoin to google the following:

Michigan Man Charged for Unlawful Bitcoin Exchange - CoinDesk

Looks like there are additional laws out there that can burn you.   I know you are not trying to do anything illegal but it looks like there is stuff in the USA that restrict it.

Good luck.

Login to Me Too

JammyJimmy
Contributor
Contributor

If we all read the eBay/PayPal terms and conditions, you will now see that cryptocurrencies are NOT covered under their seller protection programs. This is why buyers and scammers can take the **bleep** as much as they want and get away with it.

The only advise is to NEVER sell crytocurrency on eBay as there'a a 99% chance of scam and you will NOT be protected. Not only will you lose your payment and coins, you could also be hit with chargeback fees!

DON'T DO IT !!!

I no longer sell these on eBay, I now use a proper exchange.

Login to Me Too

sellerben
Contributor
Contributor

I agree eBay and/or PayPal should have better protection in place for lost money, or don't allow it on their at all. It's the equivalent of someone buying a TV at Walmart, then walking back into the store claiming there was a mistake on the recipet and demanding a full refund.

It's cruel and it's wrong to not protect the seller, last week I sold thousands of digital currency on eBay. Luckily only 3 buyers out of 15 turned out to be fraud and you bet right after I sent the money of course.

One lady sounded sincere about her account getting hacked, so I called up eBay and told them the buyers account was hacked. Props to eBay they were on my side and cancelled the transaction, and luckily I grabbed the money I earned on PayPal before the scammer could take it back.

If I had not though before they I would of been out a lot of money, and I am still working out two other cases. From now on I will message them before sending, asking them for their full name and if they intend to buy.

Login to Me Too

lyrkacom
Contributor
Contributor

Hi to all,

I will write my case here and i will also make it clear that in my current case, i will not allow paypal to win.

In 2014 i bought some Ripple coins from ebay.

I had them in my wallet and recently i decided to sell a few.

I listed them and after 5 days they were sold.

Immediately i got the paypal payment, withdrawn the money to my bank and send the 302 coins to the wallet that was provided through a message by the buyer. 

After a few hours i got an email that the account of the buyer was hacked and that he did not authorize this transaction.

So:

1) Ebay and paypal allows sellers to sell coins and if there is no case opened, they are happy with their 10% commission of the sale.

2) It is not my fault or anyones fault if ebay / paypal are not safe and people's account can be hacked. In my perspective is their responsibility, like any organization of this type.

3) I got the money, i had them in my bank account which means i received it.

Now paypal opened a case that they are investigating and that my balance is negative and that i have to pay them.

What did i do: 

1) I explained to paypal the case and that it is their responsibility and ebay off course.

2) I provided a link from bithomp.com that shows the coins transferred to the wallet that was provided to me.

3) I stopped any automatic payment methods i had with paypal meaning if Airbnb or anyone else pays me, paypal gets nothing as they will "hoover" anything.

Paypal and ebay should offer:

1) Security to their customers from hackers and take responsibility for that.

2) Protection to sellers of digital currencies or simply ban this category that they created.

It means they are happy with legitimate purchases and get their commission but when a person's account is hacked, they punish the seller.

This story with hacked account is all over in a lot of forums and it is kind of fishy that they are so easily hacked and still carry on offering the category of: coins - virtual currency - mining contracts.   

3) Understand that by **bleep** sellers is not right and they should offer a responsible solution and pay the buyer on their own since it is their responsibility that the accounts they offers can be hacked.

Regards to all,

Filios.

Login to Me Too

JosephLTC
New Community Member
42 transactions and 9 deferent people all scammed in in a time period of 2 hours ! I went straight to pay pal and filed each case and then half was in my favor and half in there favor even when it was the same person and I gave the same info ! So I called PayPal again now they are looking back into the lost cases even the PayPal man said this Isent right !
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.