Paypal reversal scam?

mimigd
New Community Member

Hi,

I've had someone buy a laptop off me on ebay, but then immediately held the payment. Now my account has been limited, and the only way to resolve it is: prove I posted the item (which I haven't done), prove I've already refunded (which I also haven't done) or check the box saying 'I have not posted, but I will refund'. Is this a scam? I don't want to end up having £700 coming out of my account AGAIN. 
I also can't open up a case on this transaction as apparently the money has been sent to me instead of other way round. But I have no money in my account, the £700 has been taken out again, and my account's been suspended. I also googled the company who 'bought' my laptop and they don't really seem too legit, the guy who bought the laptop off me isn't even listed as working there, so definitely feeling a scam.

Help!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi mimigd,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

It sounds like PayPal have held this payment as it posed a security risk on the account. The £700 will be on hold with a case associated with it, you will see this case in the Resolution Centre. If you choose to refund the payment, the funds will not be taken from your bank account as we already have the £700 there to cover the refund. In these situations I would always advise the seller to issue a refund and relist the item for sale. It is likely this sale will fall through especially if you have your own suspicions regarding the buyer.

When an account is limited, this can be due to security reasons or to request additional information https://goo.gl/cK38yK. Generally, the relevant team always lists the steps to remove the limitation in the Resolution Centre.  Please complete the steps listed in the Resolution Centre to initiate a review on your PayPal account.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.