Unauthorized Transaction Claim

RCA7
New Community Member

Hi, I sold an item on eBay yesterday and the buyer paid through PayPal instantly.  I shipped the item same day, uploaded tracking number and required a signature.  That evening I get a message from the buyer stating they did not authorize the purchase and only realized someone had bought several things using their account (a coat from me, a grill, and a laptop) when they got the shipping notification.  The delivery address was her real address.  I put an intercept request on the package through the post office which costs $13 if they are able to intercept (they should be able to).  Ebay says I am covered, PayPal says I am covered.  Neither can explain what that means.  If I get the item back, obviously I would be willing to refund the money to the buyer.  But what about the original shipping?  The buyer paid the shipping and if I give a full refund, I will be out the shipping.  (I am not worried about the intercept fee, I realize I am going to have to eat that.)  PayPal said I could give her a partial refund.  But if someone really did hack her account, that isn't fair for her to pay the shipping?  Will PayPal "insure" that part so she gets a full refund and I get reimbursed for shipping?

Has anyone heard of this scam?  Why would someone hack an account and have stuff shipped to the real address?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi RCA7,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member!

If the buyer returns the the item to you and you initiate a refund for this, the full amount will be refunded to them. We cannot reimburse you for the original shipping costs but as this was an eBay item they will be able to reimburse you for the eBay fees. 

Usually in these situations the "buyer" will contact the seller and ask for the item to be shipped to an alternative address. If you need any further assistance please reach out to us

via Facebook - https://www facebook.com/PayPalUK/, Twitter - @AskPayPal., email or phone and we would be happy to advise.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.