Ebay Nigera scam

Epicmanz
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

so I recently sold my laptop to some guy on ebay but he hasn't payed yet. He asked for an invoice and wanted me to ship it to some place in United kingdom. The next day ebay sends me a email saying that my listing was removed  because of unauthorized user of buyer or bidder account. Later that day my buyer send me a message he got a email from ebay about the problem and that he got it resovled and wants me to ship it via canada post to his freind wich was transferred to nigeria to serve as a missionary.

Here is the address:

Cole Bella
5 Alijaye Street,
Lawanson, Surulere,
Lagos, 23401
Nigeria

Then a different email that didn't seam very professional wich outlook said was unsafe tells me that the problem was resovled and the money was received and specificly said that I should ship the item to nigeria then email paypal the shipping reference number for verication then I would get paid.

Exactly 43 seconds later my buyer send me an email saying that he sent the money to paypal and that I should have received a verifiction wich I didn't.

So what do you guys think?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Epicmanz
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you very much for you help 😃 I appreciate it.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Your very welcome,  spread the word and help stop the scammers.   Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jasmind28
New Community Member

This has just happened to me, I sold a phone on Ebay and the buyer has requested me to send it to Nigeria.. I received an email saying I need to send a shipping tracking number before I can get my funds.. I am not sure what to do , do I cancel the order on Ebay? or just ignore it and sell to someone else? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.