Chargebacks

dlc28
Contributor
Contributor
Hello everyone, This is a subject that probably been brought up a million times before so apologies, it's just never happened to me so I'm unsure how these things work. I sold an item on eBay worth £49 including shipping on the 19/01/17 and posted it the next day using Recorded Delivery and kept hold of the postal slip. The buyer received the item on the 21/01/17 and I later teceived positive feedback from the buyer some 2 weeks later. I woke up this morning to find out that PayPal have received notification from the bank and are now holding on to the funds. I am not at this time aware of the nature of their issue merely that they have gone straight to their bank rather than through PayPal or eBay. I've emailed PayPal a photo of the Royal Mail slip and all of the records of the delivery held on the Royal Mail website including a signature. I have also sent them a screenshot of the positive feedback left by the buyer. Is there anything else I should be looking to provide PayPal and in people's experience how to this things normally settle? I'm worried that I'm going to be £49 out of pocket along with I believe an admin fee that PayPal may charge me for dealing with the matter. Any help or advice from the community would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 🙂
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dlc28

Probably easiest if I just do a copy paste from the user agreement > seller protection but i would also advise you to go read up on it yourself.

BUT I have to mention that ''if'' the buyer has done a chargeback via her credit card company citing that the item ''was not as described'' then you would not be covered and if the buyer won they would not have to return the goods.

>>>

What are the eligibility requirements for PayPal seller protection?

You must meet all of these requirements to be covered:

1. The item purchased must be a physical, tangible good.
  2. The transaction must be marked by PayPal as eligible or partially eligible for PayPal seller protection on your Account “Transaction Details” page. If it is marked eligible, protection for both Unauthorised Payments and Item Not Received will apply. If it is marked partially eligible, protection for only Item Not Received will apply.
  3. Post the item to the shipping address on the “Transaction Details” page. If the item is delivered in person or if the Payment Recipient posts the item to a different address (for example, if the buyer asks that you send to another address on the basis that it is a “work address” or a “gift” address) then you will not be eligible for re-imbursement under the terms of the programme.
    1. You may access the “Transactions Details” page by logging into your PayPal Account, selecting “History” and then selecting “Details” for the transaction.
  4. You must follow the postage requirements described below.
  5. You must accept a single payment from one PayPal Account for the purchase.
  6. You must respond to PayPal’s requests for documentation and other information that is reasonably required by PayPal to investigate the matter in a timely manner.
  7. Your primary residence, as listed in your PayPal Account, must be in the United Kingdom and/or Ireland (however, different levels of protection apply for each region, please see section 11.2 above).
  8. Your eligibility must not be otherwise suspended.

Eligibility requirements c. and d. above do not apply to any item for which you receive payment through the PayPal Location Based Payments Functionality, provided that you provide to PayPal proof (to PayPal’s reasonable satisfaction) that the item was collected by or delivered to the buyer.

11.7 What are the postage requirements?

Protection for Unauthorised Payment

Protection for Item Not Received

Postage requirements

Proof of Postage (minimum) or Proof of Delivery

Proof of Delivery

11.8 What is “Proof of Postage”?

Online or physical documentation from a postal company that includes all of the following:

1. A status of “shipped” (or equivalent) and the date of postage
  2. The recipient’s address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent).
  3. Official acceptance from the shipping company (for example, a postmark, a receipt, or online tracking information). Or, if you have Proof of Delivery then you do not need Proof of Postage.

11.9 What is “Proof of Delivery”?

Online documentation from a postal company that includes all of the following:

1. A status of “delivered” (or equivalent) and the date of delivery.
  2. The recipient’s address, showing at least the city/county or post

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dlc28
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks 🙂 At this stage I have NO idea why they have raised the dispute. They never made any contact with me, PayPal or eBay raising any issues and it's been almost 2 months since the initial sale was made. It could be a none receipt dispute, not as described dispute or a unauthorised payment dispute ???? They also left me positive feedback following the conclusion of the sale. I have relayed all the postage information and a copy of the Royal Mail slip along with the electronic signature and a screenshot of the positive feedback. I may even get the police involved at a later stage. I did this on a not as described case as the buyer sent me back a completely different item to what was sent out. In that instance eBay refunded me my money.
Login to Me Too

jain236
Contributor
Contributor

just log in into your paypal account and i reckon you can find the case details

Login to Me Too

dlc28
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah I have I think it's been classed as unauthorised payment Well I think I've done enough under the sellers protection scheme to be covered. It's up to PayPal to cover it not me. The buyer paid, got his stuff and left me positive feedback. I think PayPal should take it up with the bank. Though given my previous dealings with PayPal they just buckle like a belt and take the money from me.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.