Always protect yourself when shipping and tips for receiving good feedback

PrincesM
Contributor
Contributor
I always get delivery confirmation on all my packages sent to buyers. If the items where over $100, I even get insurance at no extra cost to the buyer (to protect myself from financial loss in case the package gets lost). I think it is worthwhile for my own piece of mind as well as the buyer's. Also, if there is ever a dispute as to whether you sent the item or not you can provide proof and protect yourself against claims for non receipt. Another selling tip, I include a little surprise gift in all my packages. Sometimes maybe just cosmetic samples or little inexpensive jewelry. Once, my grocery store gave scratch off cards with any purchase. I saved them and sent one along in my packages. The customers always appreciate these little gifts as a special touch:)
Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

JPrimousNPG
New Community Member

So far, for us just the use of the "Custom Form Label" has worked out well. Just having that number gives my customers some thing to reference to and I've only lost maybe five (international ) items over the last two years. Which is not bad considering on the large number of international sales we do

Login to Me Too

dc2011
Contributor
Contributor

@JPrimousNPG wrote:

So far, for us just the use of the "Custom Form Label" has worked out well. Just having that number gives my customers some thing to reference to and I've only lost maybe five (international ) items over the last two years. Which is not bad considering on the large number of international sales we do

Thanks for the suggestion. I also use only that so far, my problem is that when there is a delay that number does not show anything and I am not sure if the buyerever goes to their customs office that number will show something in there.Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

AvonRep

I used to work for USPS, once a piece of mail leave the US borders it's at the mercy of every Country that it travels through.  I once had a customer tell me that he always registers his packages even though they contain only a few dollars worth of fabrics because  without fail, the Customs office opens each package, keeps it and if there's no official claim filed, they keep the articles for themselves.  Once he started doing the registration, all the packages were "found' and delivered, torn boxes and all. This of  course was in countries like Bulgaria etc.  Some countries have Strikes.  If one Postal worker which may be all there is for a region decides not to work for 3 weeks because he wants to go fishing or whatever, there is no mail processing, no delivery, nothing!  Everything stands still.  It affects all mail coming and going through that area. 

By the way, the postal rates for each country are determined by that Country.  The US only abides by that rate.  They do not add anything extra to it.

Just thought I'd let you in on a few behind the scenes things.  In the US  all REGISTERED Mail goes much slower, it goes under lock and key literally.  Every Postal person who touches that article has to sign for it, in and out and if undelivered, back in again.  It is kept in the vault overnight.  Usually Jewelry, Bearer Bonds things that cost up to $10,000.00 are insured.

To make a claim on any item you must present proof of cost!  A receipt or some kind of Insurance Assessment before the mailing took place.   You'd be surprised how many people have broken TV's save the shipping boxes and a year or more later try to return them and want the USPS to pay for them with no receipts etc. I have personally processed several claims from the same 10 people!  🙂  I'm sure they were refused.

So you are right, protect yourself and make sure your customers understand that they must protect themselves as well.

Login to Me Too

a2hawk
Contributor
Contributor
Does anybody know anything about this new "scan form" option with click and ship? It's supposed to prove proof of mailing and it's free. It would save me money on registering a international package and I would be able to offer cheaper shipping cost. Thanks
Login to Me Too

gspice
Contributor
Contributor

That number willnot show anything at their customs office.  Sad but true.

Login to Me Too

RN47
Contributor
Contributor

Buy third party shipping insurance providing you are shipping to countries that are not in the exclusion list from the insurance company. For $1 premium per $100 value (including shipping cost) it is a good value for peace of mind if sending items from $25 and up (we self insure items under $25). Look up ShipSaver from InkFrog in the eBay Applications tab. We've been using them for over a year, and it's the best value for shipping insurance that will cover USPS FCMI shipments. eBay does not provide the protection to sellers because USPS FCMI does not have tracking once the package leaves the US. eBay pushes for USPS Priority Mail International, which in most cases is quite expensive, unless the items are small or light, then the small flat rate boxes are reasonable, but still high compared to shipment in the US. eBay shipping label did not offer USPS FCMI until just this year, but they make it clear that you are not protected when you use that option from USPS. Paypal still does not offer that option in their shipping labels.

Login to Me Too

Great Idea about the free gifts,  I've been doing it for years and it also brings repeat business.......

But, as far as protecting yourself on SHIPPING, your remarks are fine,  but many of us do not Sell many items over $100.00, how do you protect yourself on a $10.00 - $50.00 item,  without giving back the major of the monies you receive from the sale?

Login to Me Too

I ship Internationally quite a bit, I would at least 1/3 of my sales.  In my listing for the item I state my International terms including the option for tracking, I also make it mandatory for the International buyer to contact me before bid and state the different postage options, tracking and my mandatory rules for shipping a package Internationally.  I make it clear that if tracking is not purchased that I am not at fault.  

I always keep my stub at the post office showing the date it was mailed and make sure it's stamped.  If an altercation occurs I can always take a picture of the stub and email to the buyer as well.  I do make it quite clear that if no tracking is chosen that I am not responsible and make sure that the buyer understands this as well.  It can be somewhat difficult at times, I've had buyer with little to no English.

What I find is the most detrimental to shipping international are returns or fraudulent returns.  I've sold some vintage jewelry items that are very well and closely photographed and have the buyer complain of a flaw that is not present.  They refuse to pay return shipping with tracking to know it will arrive so I can issue a refund and in return I have gotten negatives.  

I also include a business card in every package with my contact information, even personal phone, just incase there is any problem with the shipping or item.  This can also be something a person can keep and go back to your store or username for repeat business.  Also, a small thank you note or gift is a GREAT addition.  They are inexpensive and show the little extra care and appreciation.  

I find that the most important thing in any shipping altercation is your communication and attitude to the buyer.

Login to Me Too

gspice
Contributor
Contributor

Great tip! Thanks!

Login to Me Too

sutterantiques
Contributor
Contributor

I have been shipping internationally for years. I will now only ship priority mail. That is regardless of how much the customer complains and/or begs me. I have it clearly stated in my description. Something I have just become aware of is an inexpensive item called proof of mailing. It is not proof of delivery but does prove that I mailed it. It is piece of mind and saves me refund problems with ebay and paypal. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.