Always protect yourself when shipping and tips for receiving good feedback

PrincesM
Contributor
Contributor
I always get delivery confirmation on all my packages sent to buyers. If the items where over $100, I even get insurance at no extra cost to the buyer (to protect myself from financial loss in case the package gets lost). I think it is worthwhile for my own piece of mind as well as the buyer's. Also, if there is ever a dispute as to whether you sent the item or not you can provide proof and protect yourself against claims for non receipt. Another selling tip, I include a little surprise gift in all my packages. Sometimes maybe just cosmetic samples or little inexpensive jewelry. Once, my grocery store gave scratch off cards with any purchase. I saved them and sent one along in my packages. The customers always appreciate these little gifts as a special touch:)
Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

dc2011
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Thank you for posting this useful topic. I just have one question, what would be the best way to protect yourself when shipping international? The delivery confirmation services are ery expensive, and if you do not use that I understand you are not protected against claims.

Thank youWoman Very Happy

Login to Me Too

2blkflys

I sell a lot internationally. If the item is over what you feel comfortable losing (money wise) then tell the buyer that they have two choices; one the cheaper way, however you cannot guarantee delivery and they take the risk of the item being lost/held in customs, etc. or the more expensive way (express, etc.) where you can guarantee and confirm arrival. If the buyer knows the risk involved and you are up front about the possibility them paying for an item that they may never get, I've found most buyers are happy to pay the extra charge..then there are some willing to take the risk, but at least you are up front and you will not be out the money. Also, be sure to check with your local post office as there are only a few services that will allow you to track and confirm international packages...priority flat rate is NOT one of them. I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's express, global express and something else I think. Ask the post office because, as far as I could find, it doesn't tell you on their website.

On another note, I have found that first class international works very well and have had few missing packages. I have found it has been 100% reliable to Canada and Australia. Again, if it is a higher price item be up front with the buyer and let them decide!

I hope this helps!

2blkflys

www.Deals-On-The-Fly.com

Login to Me Too

toyranch
Contributor
Contributor

The baggies the post office uses for the shipping documents for international packages are easy to remove.  I have a stamp with my contact information that I always use on the box in addition to the shipping documents, so whether by accident or on purpose, the box has some identification and the likelihood of it being "lost" is significantly reduced.

Login to Me Too

dc2011
Contributor
Contributor

@2blkflys wrote:

I sell a lot internationally. If the item is over what you feel comfortable losing (money wise) then tell the buyer that they have two choices; one the cheaper way, however you cannot guarantee delivery and they take the risk of the item being lost/held in customs, etc. or the more expensive way (express, etc.) where you can guarantee and confirm arrival. If the buyer knows the risk involved and you are up front about the possibility them paying for an item that they may never get, I've found most buyers are happy to pay the extra charge..then there are some willing to take the risk, but at least you are up front and you will not be out the money. 

Thanks, I will try this, and will write it in my listings. However, I think that if they want to claim a not received package, even when we told them in advanced, and they did not pay for a tracking number, they will be able to get a full refund.. Buyer protection policy Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

a2hawk
Contributor
Contributor

What about just registering the package, that's what I do with all my international sales. It runs around $11.50 depending on the value and it insures it as well. The international customer must sign for the package so they can't claim they didn't get it, and its insured if its lost.

a2hawk

Login to Me Too

dc2011
Contributor
Contributor

@a2hawk wrote:

What about just registering the package, that's what I do with all my international sales. It runs around $11.50 depending on the value and it insures it as well. The international customer must sign for the package so they can't claim they didn't get it, and its insured if its lost.

a2hawk

huh, this may be a good option when the value of the package is high, and they do not want to pay Express mail, this is almost half, I will check this option

thanks!!! Smiley Very Happy

Login to Me Too

dc2011
Contributor
Contributor

@dc2011 wrote:

@a2hawk wrote:

What about just registering the package, that's what I do with all my international sales.

Does this work as proof of delivery for claims filed?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

marysstampplace
New Community Member

hi

yes regeitered mail is expensive but it is a life saver

you can go to www.usps.com and track it

it takes forever to get to its destination (30 to 45 days)

but they have to sign for it

we sell stamps  and i have had lot of bidders who claim that they did not

get their item

so i have boosted my  s/h registered fee to 17.00 and have done  away with the bidder getting a choice

from now on if they bid they will have to pay the registered fee

i am tired of throwing my profit awawy on deadbeats who say they did not get the item and it isn't returned

to me as non deliverable

it is also spelled out  not once on our auction page but twice

also when they bid it pops up and it is therer when they confirm their bid

i have had 25 negative feedbacks in 11 months and all but one is from international bidders

i feel it is my duty to outline it all on the item page and their obligation to not be lazy and take the time to read

before bidding

i know that this might cost me some bidders but i have to get a handle on this and this is the only thing that really makes any sense

any suggestions

Login to Me Too

gspice
Contributor
Contributor

I quit selling international because these sales cost me my power seller and top rated seller rating.  It is very disconcerting to me that this can happen.  I was under the impression that international sales did not go into your ratings, but that is not true.  Every once in a while a seller will ask if I will sell to them internationally and I have and it always is a disaster of some kind or another, so I am thru with international selling.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.