hacked account and dispute closed

dperry81
New Community Member

Hi all,

First time poster, so i hope i have got this in the right place.

I had my account hacked and the hackers used it to buy a £599 phone from Google.  I had £40 in my paypal account, so from the £599, £40 was from paypal account and £559 was from my linked bank account.

I raised disputes with both paypal and my bank.  My bank gave me money back with no questions asked, but paypal have closed the dispute and have not refunded me the £40, saying that they see no fraud with the transaction.

Since I can't re-open a dispute in the resolution centre, how do I go about getting my £40 from Paypal?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Sean

Hello @dperry81, Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting. 

I'm sorry to hear that your account was compromised. It sounds like the payment made is through a Billing Agreement from Google. A Billing Agreement authorizes a merchant to charge you whenever you make a purchase on their website without signing in to your PayPal account. As a buyer, you must agree to the Billing Agreement before a merchant can take a payment from your PayPal account. This is something that's set up on the first checkout with the merchant. This could be the reason why your account was charged. It is possible that you signed up for this Billing Agreement by accident, or you may have forgotten about it. However, a payment like this cannot be referred to as an unauthorized transaction. This is why your case may have been denied.

Please click the following link to see how to view and edit your Billing Agreements, What is an automatic payment and how do I update it? (paypal.com).

- Sean

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.