Verified my identity 3 times, account is still limited/frozen (been 3 weeks)

vintagehead
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to withdraw my USD into my US Bank account. My account is limited so I am unable to add my US bank account to the (Canadian) PayPal account, however I have a second PayPal account where I successfully added my US bank account. However I cannot send my USD to this PayPal account either due to the limitation/freeze. 

The freeze is likely due to a unrecognized login/IP address, as I am studying overseas. Unfortunately, PayPal has no way to notify of travel plans, at least not anymore.

I've been in contact with customer support through chat in the Resolution Centre within my account; the chat has been open for almost 3 weeks.

After days and weeks of discussions with Customer Service, I've verified my identity twice within my account through email or in-account prompts (by submitting my gov. ID & a Proof of Address document). However, my account is still limited (cannot send money to my other PayPal account, nor can I do almost anything within the account like adding additional security measures, or adding my US bank account). 

I initially verified myself over the phone as well when this issue first arose.  

I've additionally been given false(?) information (that I cannot add a US bank to my Canadian account - which I was able to do in my other Canadian PayPal account, the one I am trying to send my funds to). I have to think this is an effort to make me think the issue is unsolvable and to move on. 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vintagehead 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to close your old Paypal account and open a new Paypal account registered in the country where you now live. You would then need to add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

You can however in most countries add a U.S bank account (not card) to your paypal account. This is because paypal is a U.S company and allows that option for U.S Paypal account holders working in other countries.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

vintagehead
Contributor
Contributor

Okay thanks, although unfortunate news. Maybe I'll start a new chat because the 3 week long one is going no where, with the same copy/paste responses every few days from each new representative. 

If I used a VPN and logged in from Canadian IP, wonder if I'd face the same problems (likely, because my account is already limited?).

It's odd too because my other account I added the US bank account no problem from this very same overseas location. 

My money is stuck in this account, and because it's not a lot, I feel like PayPal customer service doesnt' really prioritize it. I've repeatedly asked for at least the same person to be in the chat, but that's been ignored. 

Do you think I'll have to wait 180 days, or can they do something about it? Previously it seems like they thought they could, as I got at least two verification requests within my account, and at least once or twice the rep has told me everything is back to normal. But when I tried to send money, it was the same issue. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vintagehead 

Its against paypal rules to use a VPN.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

vintagehead
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the helpful responses.

I guess to just clarify then, there is nothing I can do to access the money I've earned that PayPal is holding in my account?

If it is indeed a new IP address that triggered the freeze (I'm not sure it's a full 'limitation' or whatever given I don't have any of the triggers listed in this help article and I haven't been notified in any way as to why my account is not allowing me to send money, or do almost anything. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.