Sent Funds via Friends and Family - Any Chance of a Refund?

BlueStreak
Contributor
Contributor

A few days ago, someone I had been speaking to for several weeks had offered me one of his RC cars for free, as he wanted to get rid of it. I said sure, why not. I also offered to at least reimburse the shipping, which he quoted at £25. This was FAR to much, it would have been £10-£15 max, but since he was giving it to me for free, I couldn't argue.

So I sent £25 via Goods and Services, just in case. He got back to me and said his PayPal account was locked due to inputting an incorrect password too many times. Seems convenient. After a few hours, I said I'll request a refund through PayPal. So I did, and the refund was processed pretty quickly. Shortly after, he said he now had access to his PayPal account. Again... rather convenient. 

He said he wasn't able to access the funds because it sent via Goods and Services. No idea if that's a thing. So he also offered a refund, shortly after PayPal did. It didn't occur to me that if he sent the refund, then he MUST have had access to the money... right?

Anyway... I asked him several times over if he was legit, genuine, wouldn't scam me etc... he said no, he was legit and genuine. To be honest, I had no reason not to believe him, I've been speaking to him for months and would share photos of his RC collection, including the body-shell he purchased from me off eBay.

So now, he's had my £25 since the 6th of November, said he would have it shipped on the 7th... and still hasn't. I keep asking him but he seems to avoid the questions, and instead always asks ME a question.

I've just asked him again at 20:20 but so far, nothing. And yes.. I realise this is 100% on me, I sent it via Friends and Family, to someone I thought I trusted but he seems to be doing his best NOT to give me the RC car he promised. So in my eyes, that £25 has been stolen, at least until he tells me it's been shipped.

I know you can't get refunds from F&F transactions, and since the guy I paid seems to be refusing to ship the car out, as well as ignoring my questions about it, is there ANYTHING I can do to get a refund outside of asking him to refund me?

I've tried contacting eBay on Twitter but I was ignored. I also emailed them on their email address (which I can't include for some reason), assuming this is an active address... but I've also been ignored there as well! 

I assume I'm just gonna get told "nothing I can do" and that's fine, but I thought I'd ask just in case. As long as I can get answer, I don't mind what the answer is.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BlueStreak 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his Paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute (apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction), which would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.