Scam

Chaggas
Contributor
Contributor
There is a new scam in town. Person will say he wants to buy an item you are selling and then wants to pay via paypal. Once you provide your paypal details, then you will receive a fake email that looks like this. Do not fall for this: “”””Dear: XXX You have a pending payment of $400.00 NZD but we have a problem crediting your account with the stated amount because the status of your PayPal account is not a business account which limits your account with the stated amount being above your limit, This will not make us credit your account until you expand your limit. Why do I need to expand my account? We place initial limits on all accounts to increase the security precaution and help prevent any fraudulent activities. Take this urgent steps to expand your limits and receive unlimited money. How do I update my account? Action required: Contact the last payer of your account (Artur) to send in an additional payment of $600.00 NZD so that your account limit can be expanded, as soon as this is done, We will credit your account with the full amount of $1,000.00 NZD plus a free compensation and charges fee of $50.00 for the inconvenience caused, immediately and without further delay or expectation. Note: A notification has been sent your buyer regarding the additional payment of $600.00 NZD that they need to send to you. We secure this transaction with high priority, so neither buyer nor seller will lose a penny.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chaggas 

SCAM has been ongoing for years unfortunately.

You never pay any upfront fee as a seller.

Ignore scammers that send fake Paypal emails telling you that you need to pay an upfront fee to verify/upgrade to a business account/or any other reason to accept a payment.

You would certainly never have to send funds especially via another payment processor/bitcoins/ or tokens/vouchers of any sort.

Any fee is auto deducted by Paypal at the same instant the remainder of the payment is credited to your Paypal account balance.

No funds in your balance = you have not yet been paid, even pending/held payments will still show in your Paypal account activity.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Chaggas
Contributor
Contributor
Noted. Thanks for the advice.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.