Received invoice from one seller which I didn't make any purchase. Is it a scam?

MichaelCHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I received a notification from PayPal that someone sent me an invoice to make a payment of USD 500 for purchasing a anti virus software which I didn't make. Could I just leave it like that with out paying or how do I cancel or report this?

Login to Me Too
818 REPLIES 818

Temp20221209e
Contributor
Contributor

I got a similar email for $500 with a note stating to call the given number. What is interesting about this scam is that

1. If I call the number, that will be the scammer

2. If I cancel, they will know that I am a real person and may be noted for future scams (PayPal does not have a way to cancel without notifying the sender)

3. of course the sender's email was a long random one, and the statement viewed from PayPal ended with &nbsp(6&nbspAm&nbspto&nbsp6&nbspPm)

Just wanted to share this so others can be made aware as well.

EXXXie sent you a money request

NOTE FROM EXXXXie:

If you have not made this transaction, please report to our fraud investigation team immediately Phone Number given;(6 Am to 6 Pm)

Login to Me Too

wtbaker
Contributor
Contributor

I also received scam request for money in the amount of $599.    I cancelled the request and immediately received another request from a different email address for the same amount.   Should I just leave the transactions alone and not cancel them?    I'm assuming Paypal won't auto pay.

Login to Me Too

Techbard
Contributor
Contributor
Received a request for $650 for a coin based transaction from a person I do not know. I have never initiated a coin based transaction. I cancelled the request. I also reported the person to PayPal. Is there anything else I should do? I certainly do not want this transaction to go through somehow (as I said, I cancelled the request in PayPal).
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Techbard 

@wtbaker 

Scam money request or invoice that shows in your Paypal account..

Scammers harvest email addresses and send out money requests or invoices hoping that some of those email addresses are linked to an open Paypal account.

The unsuspecting recipient is given a fake Paypal phone number in the 'notes' section added by the scammer.
If you did call that number (DO NOT) to query the transaction the scammer tells you that they need to access your computer / Paypal account to cancel that transaction for you.
They will then hack your computer or Paypal account.

Paypal never put phone numbers on emails or in money requests/invoices, they tell you to contact them via help/contact bottom of their website pages.

If there is a cancel option then cancel it, if not ignore it and it should time out at 30 days.
As long as you don't click to pay it then no money would be transferred.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

IanMcRV
New Community Member

I had another email today from PayPal:

You've got a money request:

Screenshot 2022-12-10 121016.png

As you can see I cancelled it but the 'Cancel' button is awfully close to the 'Pay' button.

I've had a few of these bogus requests over the last few weeks and it'd be great if I could turn off that 'feature' then turn it on again should I ever need it (hint: I've never needed it).

Would it be possible to turn this off?

Cheers from ian.

Login to Me Too

Cargon89
New Community Member

I have recieved two of these in my PAYPAL account and there is no way to report them in paypal. How is this even normal?

Note
We've detected that your PayPal account has been accessed fraudulently to purchase Bitcoin worth $499. 00 on “Coinbase”. If you did not make this transaction, please call us at toll-free number [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]to cancel and claim a refund. If this is indeed a genuine transaction, you will be charged $499. 00 USD today. Within the automated deduction of the amount, this transaction will reflect on PayPal activity after 24 hours. Apologies if we jumped the gun here. We did try to reach you, but couldn’t get through. Our service hours: 06:00 am - 06:00 pm (Pacific Time) Monday -Saturday.
Details
Money request amount$499.00

Total$499.00

Screenshot.png
Login to Me Too

Headieboy
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar request today too (see below) I have forwarded the email to phishing@paypal.com and declined the request & blocked the person who made the request. 

Carolyn [removed] sent you a money request

NOTE FROM Carolyn [removed]:

SUSPICIOUS TRANSACTION OF £499. 99 GBP TO Boots GIFT CARDS FOUND IN YOUR ACCOUNT. TO STOP THIS TRANSACTION CALL US IMMEDIATELY @ +4[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/span>

Money request details
Transaction ID
U-37P77626KC3168845
Transaction date
10 December 2022

Amount requested   £499.99 GBP

Pay Now [https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/transfer/payRequest/U-5EW35258P8465344K/U-37P77626KC3168845?classic...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=RT000186&utm_unptid=fb969c38-787c-11ed-ad83-3cfdfef08b29&ppid=RT000186&cnac=GB&rsta=en_GB%28en-GB%29&cust=CTLPB9XA3AXAQ&unptid=fb969c38-787c-11ed-ad83-3cfdfef08b29&calc=f3891482147dc&unp_tpcid=requestmoney-notifications-requestee&page=main%3Aemail%3ART000186&pgrp=main%3Aemail&e=cl&mchn=em&s=ci&mail=sys&appVersion=1.130.0&xt=104038%2C127632]

Not sure why you received this email? Learn more [https://www.paypal.com/gb/smarthelp/article/why-am-i-receiving-emails-from-paypal-when-i-dont-have-a...-787c-11ed-ad83-3cfdfef08b29&ppid=RT000186&cnac=GB&rsta=en_GB%28en-GB%29&cust=CTLPB9XA3AXAQ&unptid=fb969c38-787c-11ed-ad83-3cfdfef08b29&calc=f3891482147dc&unp_tpcid=requestmoney-notifications-requestee&page=main%3Aemail%3ART000186&pgrp=main%3Aemail&e=cl&mchn=em&s=ci&mail=sys&appVersion=1.130.0&xt=104038%2C127632]

Copyright © 1999-2022 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Login to Me Too

CGSM19CG
Contributor
Contributor
Bogus money request has appeared on my account asking for a large sum of money. Cannot report nor cancel the request. Can anyone advise or help, please.
Login to Me Too

Headieboy
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar request today too (for £499.99 in Boots.com vouchers) I have forwarded the email to phishing@paypal.com, declined the request & blocked the person who made the request. A quick Google search of the telephone number included in the email shows it to be related to a known scam.

Login to Me Too

wonderworld59
Contributor
Contributor

I was alerted to this fraudulent claim for money via email. In that email was a phone number to call to report the claim. I hope it works,

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.