Protection from chargebacks on private sale but using Paypal invoicing for Goods & Services

jplee31
Contributor
Contributor

I listed a fishing reel for sale on Facebook marketplace (or in a classifieds group) and someone in another state reached out with interest. I've done a bit of 'background checking' and I think he's legit. He asked me to invoice him via Paypal (as goods and services) for the reel so he can pay for it that way. Understandably, he doesn't want to send money as Friends & Family via Paypal or Venmo.

Is there anything I should be looking out for here? He did ask me to specify in the notes that this is for a "Brand new [model of reel]" - I'm just afraid of there being a chargeback filed or something if he's actually shady or dishonest.

Is there anything I can do to protect myself in this case? I've never invoiced anyone via Paypal so don't know if there are caveats and risks.

If I invoice him, will he be able to pay with credit card as well and will that result in me being charged additional fees?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jplee31 

If I invoice him, will he be able to pay with credit card as well and will that result in me being charged additional fees?”

PayPal invoicing will allow the buyer to pay with credit card through PayPal guest checkout (without PayPal account) or with PayPal account. Using any tool that PayPal has to accept payment (invoices, money requests, send money for goods and services from send money tab, PayPal button/email url, PayPal Checkout, etc.) MAY result in a chargeback or a PayPal dispute if/when buyer finds a problem with a transaction within 180 days from payment date and could result in additional fees, loss of item, and/or amount received.

For tips to help with avoiding customer complaints, please read this article:

https://www.paypal.com/us/security/disputes-chargebacks

To understand customer disputes/chargebacks, please read:

https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/customer-disputes-claims-chargebacks-bank-reversals

Also read PayPal’s Seller Protection program and Refunds, Reversals & Chargebacks

Note: One cannot prevent or block a customer from filing a dispute/chargeback. If the customer wants to file one, they can file one for a valid reason or nefarious one. Whether they’ll win will depend on the specific circumstances of the case. If you can’t afford to lose item/money, sell it locally and accept payment in fiat cash or Zelle.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.