New (?) scam tactic

lsmith42
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings!

Longtime PayPal user... just experienced a new (?) type of seller scam... very simple, and hard for a buyer to detect, and harder to defend. This is what just happened to me, and unraveling it with PayPal has been a nightmare:

1. Made a purchase from a seller via a vinyl record buying/selling marketplace (a little over $300).

2. Less than 12 hours later, the seller contacts PayPal claiming that they had been contacted by the buyer with an "item not received" case.

3. PayPal records this case as opened by me, the buyer.

4. Seller contacts PayPal 8 minutes later and says, "we got everything worked out."

5. PayPal records this case as closed, with the note to the buyer, "Once a case has been closed, it can't be reopened or escalated to a claim." This means that the seller can keep my money.

6. I saw the "case opened/closed" emails four hours later, and contacted PayPal. They were no help. It took contacting PayPal several times over the next few days, including forcing them to look at device/login information to even begin to convince them that I had not opened or closed the case.

7. Via other circumstances unknown to me (but not hard to discern), the marketplace platform notified me that the seller had been suspended, and directed me to pursue a refund with PayPal.

8. That information was shared with PayPal, and after several days, and waiting 35 minutes to talk to a human (all previous support was via chat with PayPal's India support team). That person finally tells me that the original case was opened/closed by the seller, and they were now processing my refund. PayPal phone support says there is no way to protect from this type of scam, and they recommend to "keep a close eye on your PayPal account."

Now you know...

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lsmith42 

Yeah, this is a fairly new trend. Seen 3/4 similar incidents happen since from Feb/March to now. Scammer sellers try to social engineer customer service agents to open/close dispute to prevent buyer from opening disputes. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

justhelpalready
Contributor
Contributor

why cant paypal just not record it as from the buyer since it wasnt actually from the buyer? that seems like a very easy solution. the more i read in these forums the more i think paypal is just a bad service. 

Login to Me Too

lsmith42
Contributor
Contributor
That’s the social engineering part… I yelled at them endlessly that I (the buyer) did not file the complaint. “But our system says you did!” was their only response. It did get worked out, but it took far longer than it needed to because of their lack of critical thinking.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.