Meta platforms unathorized payment

danik1212
New Community Member

Hi,

this morning I woke up with notification on my phone that I have been charged 1683.27 CZK (71,5 EUR) to Meta Platforms INC.

Although I had with Facebook a previously setup billing agreement on PayPal, I have not authorized this particular payment and I suspect this is scam and is not legitimate as I have not received any receipt from Facebook/Meta platforms for any services...

I have not purchased or setup Ads since 2019 on Facebook.

I have opened a case but PayPal has determined there was no unathorized use.

Case PP-R-WOT-478816649

Amount: 1,683.27 CZK

Time: Apr 9, 2023 +02:00 GMT

Transaction ID: 1XL25398LC327350H

Merchant: Meta Platforms, Inc.

[removed]

+35[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/span>

Invoice ID

Could any one direct me who shall I contact and how to make a refund?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_JonK

Hello @danik1212

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I can understand how an unexpected charge on your PayPal account can be a bit concerning. During an investigation of an unauthorized dispute, an example that PayPal considers unauthorized is someone fraudulently obtaining the login information for your PayPal account, using that information to access your PayPal account, and then sending a payment from your PayPal account. However, in situations where you grant previous authority to someone to use your PayPal account by giving them your login information, like in the case of having it saved as a funding source for a billing agreement, you would normally be responsible for those charges unless you have previously notified PayPal that you no longer authorize transfers by that individual / entity.

In this case I would recommend reaching out to Meta to see what options are available for a refund. 

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

SecurityBreach
New Community Member

I was charge twice on 7 May 2023 by Meta.

I didn't even setup any recurring payment on Facebook and I don't even have any Ads or marketplace on FB.

I called the support hotline and they insist I must be the one who set it up and asked me to call Meta.

It's either a security breach on Paypal side or something is up..

Login to Me Too

Millie114
New Community Member
The same thing has happened to me today I have also contacted Facebook did you ever get a refund looking for hope?
Login to Me Too

vanderwaa
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem. Today I got billed 350,46 EUR on my Paypal account. It's from Meta Platforms, Inc.  I have no ads running (the last one was 5 years ago, and it's completely weird and suspicious.

Login to Me Too

temp20230831
Contributor
Contributor
Just found out yesterday that this happened to me too. I have Hundreds of dollars in charges I did not authorize. It's my theory that whenever I did adds somehow my information was compromised and Charge was made to look like facebook. Trying to iron this out. Please let me know if you have any guidance into how you resolve your issue and if you got any money back. Please and thank you.🙏
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @temp20230831

Welcome and thank you for posting in PayPal Help Community!

I see you're concerned about the unauthorized charges in your PayPal account. No need to worry! PayPal offers full Protection for confirmed unauthorized charges. Please update your password and security questions and report any unauthorized charges in the resolution center of your PayPal account. 

Before reporting the charges, please make sure to check if the charges are a part of automatic payments such as subscriptions. You can review this link to view and update the subscriptions set up in your PayPal account : How to update or cancel automatic payments in your PayPal account?

Feel free to reach PayPal Support team for any additional assistance. 

Hope this information helps you!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.