Jefferson Capital Debt Collectors

1am12
Contributor
Contributor

Looking to understand if this is legit. A relative of mine recieved a LETTER (not an email like others have) from Jefferson Capital seeking collection of debt. This relative no longer has access to their account and it has been months maybe years that they were last logged in. This letter detailing their supposed debt is a surprise and we do not know if it is a scam or legit. Does anyone have any insight on how we can confirm if it is or not on paypal's end knowing we dont have access to that account? Also, if you too had to deal with a debt letter from Jefferson any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Login to Me Too
33 REPLIES 33

bisho9210
New Community Member

I got one too. Did you ever find out if it's legitimate? I've had my Paypal account since 2006 and I use it often... never had an outstanding balance. 

Login to Me Too

mikonmedia
New Community Member

I just received a letter today in a regular, blank blue envelope that didn't look very professional. The letter references a Debt Description of "PayPal Account" but no actual account number or reference to a PayPal account email address or helpful information.

I used their website to see how far I could go into their system without providing all my details, the only thing I offered up was the last 4 of my SSN to get into their account system.

It took me to a page that looked like it was ready for me to pay n an account, but again the description of the account said "PayPal Account" and BUT this time it had a reference to an account number (last 4 digits of it anyway) which showed an account I have no idea what it matches. PayPal doesn't actually USE Account Numbers for your PayPal account, so I don't know what these people are referencing.

Going to call tomorrow, see what they say. None of my PayPal accounts are closed and the only one open is currently positive and has been for at least 15 years.  Very Odd.

Login to Me Too

JPana_142
New Community Member

I received a similar letter via USPS dated Feb 25, asking for repayment of $140.66 for my "PAYPAL ACCOUNT" with no additional reference. According to the Paypal website, I have very little activity and no balance owing. I seriously doubt this is legit, and I'd appreciate your feedback if you get through on that phone call. Thanks!

John

Login to Me Too

Biz4774
New Community Member

Hi,

I just received a collection letter from Jefferson Capital claiming to be a collection agency for PayPal. They claim I owe Paypal money which is not true.

Has anyone else gotten a letter from this agency?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

sjacoer09
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I got the same letter and don't owe anything.

Login to Me Too

Funindasun
Contributor
Contributor
What is this garbage threatening letter I received from Jefferson Capital.
Login to Me Too

GrandPaVic
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying this because the "PayPal Assistant" has been absolutely useless. I received a bill from a collection agency (Jefferson Capital) saying that I owe pay PayPal $149.50. I don't see anything in my PayPal account about this. I think it may be a scam. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry that there has been any confusion regarding communication received from Jefferson Capital. Yes, PayPal has sold certain PayPal accounts with negative balances to Jefferson Capital Systems, LLC, who is a debt buyer. If PayPal has sold your account, we sent an email to the email address in our records, advising of the sale. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

21mmm

This is extremely shady and stressful. I have only ever had one account with Paypal and it's up to date. I'm looking at it right now.

A letter with an incomplete address from these guys somehow got to me, and they have the last four of my SSN, which is frightening - yet they can't even tell me what is the email associated with this alleged account. 

I have never received any emails about this and I do not consider this matter 'closed'. Someone needs to tell me what this is about, I cannot be expected to pay for a debt that neither I nor apparently the collector know anything about!!

This is a disgrace and I am minded to close my actual paypal account and stick to Venmo. This is way out of order. 

Login to Me Too

AlexFL788
New Community Member

I have totally same situation, only one ever PayPal account fully operational and got LETTER from that Jefferson capital,

they asking for $25, they have the correct number of the last 4 of my ssn, but couldn't tell me what Paypal account they talking about...

is it a scam? or are we identity theft victims? 

Paypal support can you explain what is all about? Can I get a list of any accounts ever associated with my name? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.