How do I detect a fake PayPal Account?

capuchinn0
Contributor
Contributor

I think a person send me an scam for commisions.

He sended me 300 dollars but then, as I only so have small exchanges of money I had a personal account. It pops up on my spam email that he sended me the money.. but some weird things are going on... 

The adress of the email was very different and weird than paypal one- it was called like.. a fake account, you know... it was on english, and in any part it mentioned my name... so knowing that paypal always mention your name all the time this is weird. Normally, the messages that they send me are through the official paypal account with my name and in SPANISH.

He putted 200 more so my account so my account would turn in to a "business" one but... then he told me i needed to pass him back the 200. The mails that arrived to confirm the payment were STRANGE bc it didnt have my name and it wasnt in the language that normally paypal send me messages.

Do you think it is a scam or this is actually true??

And can I get arrested if I dont send him that money?? It's just really weird.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @capuchinn0

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm glad you reached out regarding these notifications. In short, no, this does not sound like a legitimate situation. It sounds like an attempt to have you send them $200. You can read more about How to report an email like this here, as well as How to spot a fake, spoof, or fraudulent email. 

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @capuchinn0

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm glad you reached out regarding these notifications. In short, no, this does not sound like a legitimate situation. It sounds like an attempt to have you send them $200. You can read more about How to report an email like this here, as well as How to spot a fake, spoof, or fraudulent email. 

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.