Fraud / Hacked Account - Deleted Credentials. Unfulfilled commitment

gulativishal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, on 27th December, 2023 I got a notification that a purchase has been made from my paypal account for a transaction in USA (Bose) for an amount of USD 421.04. This was immediately followed by another email that my email addresse has changed and I need to click on the link provided if I did not authorize the transaction. When I clicked on the link, it directed me to the login page which I tried to login using my email and Paypal prompted that email not found (ofcourse since the email was changed). I immediately then received another SMS that USD 468 has been debited from my account and I contacted my bank which could not support my claim as I had authorized the link of my bank account to Paypal. 

Since I reside in the UAE, I tried calling support in the USA and the number was not available, I then called the team in UK which at first asked me to contact middle east by chat and then on my second attempt, 

It was after a lot of call transfers that one lady finally came up with the idea to share any old transaction ID's I have done in the past and that is the only way they were able to retrieve my account details because after my account was compromised and the email address was changed. I informed Paypal of the new email address and they mentioned that my original account did not exist, the new email address had deleted the account and there was no history of any transactions. 

I spoke to a representative who acknowledged that my account has been compromised, she successfully blocked the transactions and I was then transferred for verification and security and then to an advisor who advised me on how I can ensure my account is kept safe in the future. 

I was assured that the transactions have been flagged and I should open a new account and start a chat to follow up on the claim. The conversation lasted almost an hour and then I proceeded to make a new account from an alternate email ID however I was unable to start a chat, next day I called back Paypal and I had to go through the entire scenario, I was then transferred to someone from the middle east unit who assured me that the amount will be refunded in 14 working days and they are used to these type of issues. Based on his experience, this incident was in my favor with no doubt. 

I was advised by this gentleman to drop an email to paypal as a reference point since I did not have any reference numbers. I did so accordingly however did not get any response. 

Today, 22nd Jan 2024 I followed up with Paypal team and they refused to acknowledge any such incidents, they even claimed my account was never compromised and a thorough investigation was done from their end. I need help and guidance on what to do. 

Total calltime - approx 2 hours. 

Total days waiting - 25 days and counting. 

Requesting for your help and guidance 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

mhelmntrs
Contributor
Contributor
I'm not affiliated with Paypal, but I can offer some general advice. If Paypal denies any compromise, consider securing your account further. Change passwords, enable two-factor authentication, and review transaction history. If issues persist, contact their support again, providing detailed evidence. Additionally, check your email for any communication from Paypal. If the problem persists, you may need to consider escalating the matter through appropriate channels or seeking legal advice.
Login to Me Too

mhelmntrs
Contributor
Contributor
I'm not directly able to intervene with PayPal or conduct investigations, but I can offer some general guidance on steps you might consider: 1. **Review and Document:** - Double-check all communication and documentation related to your case. Ensure you have clear details, such as names of representatives, dates, and any reference numbers. 2. **Contact PayPal Again:** - Call PayPal support again and ask to speak with a supervisor or a higher-tier support representative. - Provide them with a detailed summary of the situation, including your interactions with previous representatives. 3. **Email Correspondence:** - Continue to communicate via email. Be clear and concise in describing the issue, providing relevant details, and attaching any supporting documents. 4. **Escalation:** - If your concerns are not addressed, consider escalating the matter further within PayPal. You may ask for information on how to escalate the issue formally. 5. **Consumer Protection Agencies:** - Depending on your country, you might consider reaching out to relevant consumer protection agencies. They can guide you on your rights and may assist in resolving disputes. 6. **Bank Involvement:** - If the funds were withdrawn from a bank account, contact your bank. They might be able to provide guidance or initiate a chargeback process. 7. **Legal Advice:** - In extreme cases, you might consult legal advice to explore your options. This step is typically taken when other avenues have been exhausted. Always prioritize security measures on your PayPal account, such as strong passwords and two-factor authentication, to prevent future unauthorized access. Remember that the specific steps may vary based on your location, and the effectiveness of these steps can't be guaranteed. If possible, consult with a professional advisor or legal expert for advice tailored to your situation.
Login to Me Too

gulativishal
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for your detailed response on this @mhelmntrs.  I am going to keep this post active with updates and hope it will also be useful to someone who has been through this turmoil. 

Login to Me Too

mhelmntrs
Contributor
Contributor
You're welcome! Feel free to provide updates or ask any further questions if needed. Best of luck, and I hope the situation gets resolved smoothly. If you have any more inquiries or need assistance in the future, don't hesitate to reach out.
Login to Me Too

xodohtronu
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates? im going through the same issue however 3500 dollars was stollen from my account

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.