Found out about Countefeit Item from Ebay 181 days after purchase.

yirukun85
Contributor
Contributor

I have purchased a Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX earbuds advertised as genuine from a highly rated ebay seller from Japan with limited but only positive reviews regarding the product being sold for close to $300 back in Nov 25, 2023. I have a number of earphones and headphones and I use them only on limited occasions. This particular product was connecting find through bluetooth but not connecting to the B&O app. The packacing was plastic wrapped and looked 100% real and I thought it was just an issue with the B&O app itself. The sound quality wasn't what I expected from B&O, but this was my first B&O product, its bluetooth, and I'm no sound engineer so I had little doubt. Back then the product was still only a year or so old and I had reassured myself after finding no reports of fake Beoplay EX being sold. 

Well today I had some time off from work for the first time in months and decided to troubleshoot the earbuds connectivity issue with B&O app. After going through all the troubleshooting steps I realized that it simply wouldn't connect. I google searched again, and by now there were multiple reports on google search of counterfeit Beoplay EX from China being sold. Alarmed, I contacted B&O as I kept the product box, and ran the serial number with them only to find that it was indeed counterfeit. 

It is 181 days since purchase (it took 2 weeks to ship to my address). I tried contacting the seller today and no response so far.  Ebay would list the item purchase history but it doesn't even come up as an item I can report an issue with and the product is no longer listed. The seller seems to still be selling 1 similar product at least at a similar price. 

I thought Paypal would have a little bit more flexibility in a case like this. I'm 1 day outside their 180 day purchase protection. However, after wasting the entire day describing the issue and trying to submit a dispute online and getting error messages at the very end of the process despite multiple attempts, I found out through chat with a Paypal rep that the error was because of the purchase being >180 days out. 1 Day outside!! I blame my luck, my busy work schedule, the seller, but right now I am more angry at Paypal's lack of flexibility/disregard for case-by-case review.  

Thankfully I paid about 70% through Amex, who would be willing to charge back. So my question is, why should I even use Paypal in the first place after this experience? I see no reason not to purchase with my credit card directly in the future instead. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yirukun85 

Paypal gives you 180 days to file a dispute for item received but not as described which is more than enough for most folks.

Good luck with AMEX as they normally only give you 120 days.

Ebay gives you 30 days.

If you want to use your card instead of paypal then go ahead and do so?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.