Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Carolyn1126
New Community Member

Here is another name and address that i just confirmed the email that was sent to me was fake i cant believe some people i was trying to sale a blackberry phone for a little extra money for christmas and this is what happens at least the post office and ups was nice and wouldnt send it for me thanks to them i still have the item.

Name: Gabriel <removed>
Address: <removed>
City: Surulere
State: Lagos
Zip code: +23401

Login to Me Too

pavlin72
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I just lost 2500£ and my macbook from. EMAIL "PAYPAL" FOR SELLING OUTSIDE EBAY TO ADDRESS IN UK.
Login to Me Too

csvetlick12
New Community Member

They almost got me as well. They used the name Norra Smith adn shopping for thier nephew in nigeria? i was like what is going on and then i found this. Thank you!

Login to Me Too

hos
New Community Member

I listed a iphone 5 on craigslist metro detroit. I received a text from a buyer. They wanted to buy the phone for son in Nigeria. <removed> <removed> <removed> Abeokuta Ogun Nigeria 234039. The phone was $300 and they said they would pay $400.00 for shipping. Pay pal emails were all false and they said they would deposit the funds within 24 hours due to high volume due to christmas. I shipped it usps 3 day internation express. The next morning a realized it was a scam. They texted me and had paypal email me that they deposited $600.00 and needed me to send $200.00 via western union to Patrick <removed>. I called paypal and they shared it was a scam and just send emails to spoof@paypal.com. USPS did not get the package even though put a trace on it within 24 hours. Then another text comes from the guy saying my son got the phone and he did a scam on this since he was scammed once and he will pay me. He asked how and I said via paypal which we agreed too. A new number (text only) came with this message<removed> I am disappointed that USPS did not stop the package since it went from Detroit to Newark to Houston and then to Nigeria. Also paypal rep. was nice but did nothing just lesson learned that funds will automatically appear if using their service. Never have to wait 24 hours due to busy time. I also insured the phone so not sure i will see that money back or not? Merry Christmas to me and I was a fool to fall for this. I hope others learn from this mistake.

Login to Me Too

Urzgulraiz
New Community Member
Lol I got the same address. Thanks god I checked it before I shipped it
Login to Me Too

makabo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to the forum, I've not sent yet device. I got the same story and address but the different name: Mohammed <removed> <removed> Abeokuta Ogun Nigeria 234039. 

Login to Me Too

MARCOandGINA
New Community Member

My husband advertised an iPad on Kijiji and we received an offer from a man saying he was currently in a camp for training but wanted to buy it and send it to his girlfriend as a New Year present.  He offered 100$ more for us to provide shipping and requested name + paypal infos to send the payment immediately to this address : 

Stephen <removed>
<removed>
Surulere

Lagos

We found it funny that he offered more money then we asked for it...  When we typed the address to find out where it was, we found this topic on Paypal and decided not to send any of our informations, thanks to all of you!  We sent him another text message though, to let him know we were affraid it was a fraud and he just never answered back. The phone he was using to send text was  <removed>

Login to Me Too

aolson
New Community Member

I was just had by this type of fraud too....

Contacted me on Amazon, offered more, shipped internationally, fake paypal payment confirmation from a fake "@in.com" email address.  Nothing can be done to retrieve a package shipped internationally from the US.  

They really had me convinced too...I just wish I would have looked at the email address closer.  Also, the mobile PayPal app didn't help....it made the request look like it was "PENDING" but showed what made it look like it would credit my account.  That wasn't helpful.  The email seemed really legit: used graphics and links straight off of PayPal's website.

Login to Me Too

ash2010
New Community Member

i think i have just had it happen to me too. i have never used paypal before. so i goolged the adress out on google to know how to write it out on the package and the scam pop up!! so i told the man flat out i did not feel okay with doing the purchase, i was asking $150 for what i was selling and he wanted to give me $250

Login to Me Too

ecline
New Community Member

scam alert:

Yemmy <removed>
<removed>
Itire, Surulere 101014
Lagos Nigeria.

ebay name: patches22348

Amanda <removed> - is there 'real' name

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.