Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

PLTstar

This just happened to me last night although the scammer was unsuccessful, he was still able to send me a email that looked like an authentic paypay service email addressing me by my first and last name.  I dont know how the person managed to pull this off considering they only knew my phone number and paypal email address.

Any thoughts?

Login to Me Too

Obawan

With your email and phone number it is likely that they did a reverse look-up to get your full name.

Login to Me Too

Obawan

FYI of another address to be wary of. Typical story of buying for a cousin, overpaying (after negotiating price down....) and then wanting to use a local sign-for posr rather than the courier. Needless to say, I didn't go ahead with sale.

Edris Salam. email is <removed>.

Name:Savannah <removed>
Address:<removed>
City:Mushin
State:Lagos
Zip code:23401
Receivers Num:<removed>

Login to Me Too

tristan142
New Community Member

Some one from Nigeria tried to get scamed.  Watch out for anyone being really pushy to get your paypal info, or saying its for their son/nephew/cousin whatever.

My guys email was <removed>

his address was:  <removed> marina lagos island, nigeria, 23401

Login to Me Too

qcirish
New Community Member

Well, I got suckered I guess.  I thought I had checked things as best I could, but will know now to check forums or google the address.  Dang I feel stupid.

Here's the address I got, so no one else uses it.

Hazzan <removed>

<removed>

Surelere Lagos  Nigeria.

I don't sell online often enough so didn't check.  It's my own fault, but if it keeps someone else from getting suckered..I'll take my lumps. 

"I hope this post is real and legitimate? (irony there, right?) Not a scam right?  I am currently out of my home state now doing a bit of shopping for my family and I want you to deliver it tomy brother directly in overseas which I'll be offereing you $100-200 fee for shipping.  Do you have an acct with PayPay?I have no problem sending you the money first.  Thanks"  Claim was the brother was studying zoology. 

So there you are...attempts to contact the person today have met with silence.  I'm assuming I'm out the postage to ship and the netbook.   I hope someone else learns from my ignorance.  I just didn't think to google the address. 

Login to Me Too

eprosper
Contributor
Contributor

I am having it, too. I recieved 2 text messages, one if from <removed>, another reply from <removed>. The person wants to pay me $100 more than I asked for, and pay me to ship the item to South Africa. Fortunatly I searched the web and got this information. Thank you all for the postings!

Login to Me Too

turtledove12
New Community Member

Same story.  Camera bid at the Buy It Now with "an extra $200" for shipping to the cousin overseas.  Address:

Andrew <removed>

<removed>

Abesan Ipaja

Lagos State

Nigeria

The Ebay account was opened the day the bid was submitted.  Received a text from <removed> immediately after the Buy It Now pushing for shipment and insistance that the PayPal payment had been submitted

Login to Me Too

barnowl37
New Community Member

I had the same thing - birthday present!  took item off the auction, and got an email asking to send the paypal invoice.  Have to say I am not impressed with Paypal.  Their logo, as well as Ebay logo were all over the email.  But the contact address email didn't seem to work:

<removed>

Then I read the email from Paypal, and there were spellilng mistakes, grammar mistakes.

"Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited.
Send tracking number to us or email us through this mail: <removed>  our customer service care will attend to you. As soon as you send us the shipment's tracking number to us
for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited to your account
Issues with this transaction?
You have 45 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute in the Resolution Centre.
Questions? Go to the Help Centre at: <removed> "

* *PLEASE NOTE**

So the money is PENDING in my paypal - awaiting evidence of post tracking number.  But I took the item off Ebay - to meet this lady's birthday deadline. So I don't understand that.  Also the buyer - had TWO feedbacks - since 2012?  The address used for postage, which she finally told me, after I had asked by email twice was:

Kelvin <removed>

<removed>
Lawanson Itire
Surulere 101014
Lagos Nigeria

I still feel bad that her money MIGHT be in my paypal account... but am sure it isn't!

What a waste of time!  Got to put it back on the auction again now.  

ALSO - Royal Mail won't give you an online postal quote to Nigeria - so I have no idea whether it was going to cost £40 or more...

Be careful - and stick to auction!

Login to Me Too

Elena_NY
Contributor
Contributor

OMG! They ALMOST got me. I am selling my laptop on craigslist. Some person texted me that he wants this laptop for his friend's Bday. Oh, how sweeeeet, right? So, he said he will pay me through the PayPal. I did get confirmation letter in e-mail saying I have to send the item ASAP and e-mail tracking number... I looked at the buyer's address... Nigeria? Hmmm. So, I google it and what I seeeeee!

Here is his info:

Thompson <removed>

Address: <removed>

Lagos Island

Lagos

+23401

Nigeria

This address doesnt exist!

BE CAREFUL, PEOPLE. And God bless those, who started to talk about this subject. Saved me for sure.

Login to Me Too

San13

Someone tried to fool me in same way. I had email via eBay that someone called Andrew <removed> had bought my listed item. Originally he gave me an address is states for shipping. I sent money request. Following day I received an email from "PayPal" advising me that money has been paid. In fact buyer paid extra £50 because he wanted me to ship to his cousin in Nigeria as he is currently on a business trip and is out of states. I cancelled money request and the order. Address given to me was <removed> Ipaja. Lagos State 23401 "PayPal suggested that I ship the item within 24hours however funds may not show in my PayPal account for 48 hours!!! They are not that sophisticated because the fake emails they send from "PayPal" &"eBay" don't have eBay or paypal's domain name so always check the email address. I'm slightly concerned that although I've cancelled order via eBay. Ebay will still charge me fees for supposedly selling the item!!! I think it is despicable that people are out there to con hard working people out of their money! And some poor people especially older ones fall for these because they dont know much about these scammers and con artists and are really vulnerable!!! Email used was <removed>

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.