Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,005 REPLIES 1,005

BrandsD
Contributor
Contributor

I received this email today to same email address PayPal has as my main email address. Very worried. 

IMG_0001.png

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BrandsD 

This is a 100% SCAM.
Scammers harvest email addresses and send out money requests or invoices hoping that some of those email addresses are linked to an open Paypal account. Yours is 100% SCAM.

You do NOT wait 24 hours for the charges to show, they want to frighten you into phoning that number.

If you did call that number (DO NOT) to query the transaction the scammer tells you that they need to access your computer / Paypal account to cancel that transaction for you.
They will then hack your computer or Paypal account.

Paypal never put phone numbers on emails or in money requests/invoices, they tell you to contact them via help/contact bottom of their website pages.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Temp20240126A
Contributor
Contributor

I found a very strange phenomenon, that is, when placing orders on the same website, they always jump to different PayPal accounts, and there are hundreds or thousands of PayPal accounts accepting orders in one night. Can I prove that these PayPal accounts belong to the same person? To avoid PayPal checks

Login to Me Too

Acs2002
@Felicia-4835 do not send money
Login to Me Too

patgaudette
New Community Member

Received this scam email from Shaelee [removed] [emoved]. It has my correct name and address. I have checked my paypal account and see no current transactions. However, I am unable to send this to the paypal phishing email as it indicates that email address is incorrect. It is the only one listed. This post has been changed by Paypal to remove some of the HTML in the message.

PRODUCT DETAIL

High Pressure 8-mode Handheld Shower Head - Anti-clog Nozzles, Built-in Power Wash to Clean Tub, Tile & Pets, Extra Long 6 ft. Stainless Steel Hose, Wall & Overhead Brackets

PRICE

BILLING DETAILS

QTY

NAME

PAT

TOTAL PRICE

ADDRESS

P O BOX 

Date: - February 13, 2024

ORDER ID

K2E5Q7E4G

INVOICE ID

S367T3NM

Invoice                                                                                 [removed]

rtfPAYdikPALple

HELP AND SUPPORT

If you have a question about your order, call our below listed 24/7 support number.

United states

[removed]

•              Note: Order on Saturday and Sunday will be delivered on Monday.

•              Thank you for business with us

Login to Me Too

BongAndi
Contributor
Contributor
Very helpful. Thank you for the information.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.