Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

tonything

David <removed>
   Nigeria

Nunber <removed>

Login to Me Too

I feel like this is very much along the same lines - got this yesterday... 

I precisely purchased the item on behalf of a folk of mine in Nigeria who has been transferred to serve as a missionary in Nigeria.I will be leaving for New Zealand  for a program I'm seeking your help in getting the item posted to him in Nigeria.

I have sorted out the postage costs on the Australia post website and i will be adding it accordingly to the costs of the item and i want the posted via Australia Seamail Or Airmail.

Here Is the postage address

Afam <removed>

<removed>

Nigeria

Mobile Number <removed>

I will pay immediately.

Rochelle

Login to Me Too

Temp20230526ac
New Community Member
Below is the verified shipping Information:

Name: Tunde <removed><removed>
Zip Code: 23401

heres another one
Login to Me Too

kwguy
Contributor
Contributor

I stopped my Nigerian fraudster in his tracks by asking him to transfer the money to me via PayPal using my mobile phone number instead of my email address. He kept asking for my email address and name until he finally lost interest in me.

Here was his address:

<removed>

Nigeria 23401

Login to Me Too

I got this the Last week after trying to sell an Item, then i got this on trying to sell the same item 4 days ago, not only that its maxed out my ebay selling allowance, so i have to wait before i can try and sell it again! ridiculous.

Dear zinc_computers,
Hi,
I have made payment for the eBay Item i bought from you via paypal... I would be glad if you can ship this item for me out of United Kingdom. My cousin that i'm buying this item have informed me that he's presently on a campaign work in other to advocate against HIV/AID and other epidemic diseases and he's currently not in the state.

Here is the shipping below:

Abiodun <removed>
Nigeria, 23401

I have received a receipt and the payment confirmation I.D from paypal is JX432687HE2365315.

xx

I Hate these scammers for what they're doing to people, they're not the only one's struggling in today's world. they think because they're in a worse off place they can get away with this.

Login to Me Too

jordanc1993

Hello,
         I will like to inform you that I have carried out the payment of  £539.99 via PayPal. I want it sent to my son in Nigeria,for his Birthday present. I would have asked you to post it to my eBay address in United Kingdom, but am going for a business trip to Spain, here is the delivery address.

Deola <removed>
23401 Nigeria...

I want you to ship the item today via ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL SIGNED-FOR so that the item will get there as soon as possible,and I've added you  £40.00 for the postage cost to Nigeria. Please get back to me ASAP with the shipping tracking number of the item shipped.NOTE: Please wrap the item carefully, Please use only ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL SIGNED-FOR.
I'm very sorry for the inconvenience i might caused you.
Best regards

Login to Me Too

So they are using social media, Skype, Messenger and all the tools we normally use for communications and to find friends.

The one that contacted me just today on Skype, was quite obvious, but I wanted to see how far he would go. So he first said he was from the UK working for some high class Oil Company in Nigeria. He said corruption was bad and he was going back home. Obviously his English was horrible and he kept saying "I trust you now", "what are you afraid of?" I found this forum, which was very helpful.

The scam is quite obvious - he needs to secure his money, he says he will send a delivering agent from the bank to your doorstep, with the money, all you have to do is pay for his clearence or travel expenses, or ... I don't know.

Please: DO NOT give personal details: address, phone no, and expecially no card info.

DO not PAY anything!

Research everything - if it sounds too good to be true - it most certainly IS!

The one that contacted me was on skype and his ID is matrix.j2

I hope more people see this forum and will be aware of this type of scams, which only evolve everey month....

Login to Me Too

Kelsi-Jo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, do you know if there is a way to get the object you shipped out back? In any way? Just about 2 days ago this happened to me, they said they were on a mission trip and he was buying it for his fiance.. And he sent emails with paypal logos and even had one from  an "agent" and always sent things like that then the "agent" said that I needed to send 150$ for him to get the object and for me to get the money, I refused to pay that money, because that is when I realized it was a scam, I am only 17, I sold my 200$ phone just because I needed the money.. That was it. I just really needed the money, I live on my own with a baby.. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

So sorry but once the item is shipped there is nothing you can do.

Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Kelsi-Jo
Contributor
Contributor

Okay .. Thank you. 😞 I hate some people, what's the point of ripping people off? :'(

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.