Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sara_k21

If there is a link in there for you to click on to ''cancel'' the transaction then its a scam to get your financial or log in information.

If you log in normally and NOT via any links etc then you can check your account and the transaction is more than likely not showing.

Read this  >>

https://www.paypal.com/ca/selfhelp/article/what-are-popular-scams-i-should-avoid-faq3022

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pintybinty
New Community Member

this has just happened to me for £55.75, but nothing has come out of my account.

Login to Me Too

tokoin
Contributor
Contributor
Just happened to me too for £36 odd. Sure to be a scam.
Login to Me Too

Willy4
New Community Member

same has happened to me too, but for a different amount...

Willy4

Login to Me Too

jjmorrow
Contributor
Contributor

This the second time in a month I have been sent this , my wife recieved one to for the same amount Screenshot (89).png

Login to Me Too

Lotusaddict
New Community Member
Yeah, I got one as well for £87. Must be a bulk send of scam email to all corners of the globe.
Ignore it.
Login to Me Too

Dinglebloke
New Community Member

I had the same for £20.93. Nothing has gone out of my account (YET!). I contacted PayPal and they are looking into it as a possible phising scam. Report it to Pay Pal via the help pages. The more info they get the better.

Login to Me Too

Willy4
New Community Member

PayPal advice is to forward such messages to spoof@paypal.co.uk then delete it

Willy4

Login to Me Too

Jim-N
Contributor
Contributor
Are there any circumstances in which paypal would ask for photocopies of your driving licence and passport
Login to Me Too

counterywoods
Contributor
Contributor

tryed to access spoof@paypal.com   Cant seem to get on their site to report  a Pay pay reciept in my Yahoo email  that states receipt from paypay to Alouette Elementay school P A C  Checked my paypal acct. no such  payments went out of my paypal acct.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.