Account Deactivated then Reactivated - why?

peterhw
Contributor
Contributor

Hope this is the right 'BOARD' 

I recently received an email from PayPal.

Subject – “Account features have been deactivated”  With text that included “We're unable to continue processing payments for this account “.

Needless to say, I was sort of ‘gob -smacked’.  Attempts to contact PayPal – were – as expected – rejected.  My email reply to PayPal at [removed] was non delivered (no longer valid – despite having just received an email from this address).  I went to my PayPal account – and worse than useless – i.e., spent ages getting no real help. I followed some path to the Resolution centre – ‘You have two new massages’ – however the last was July – again no help.

I replied to a phishing address – in case the message I had receive was bogus – no response there.

Eventually found a contact phone number.  The youngster appeared to understand what I was saying but confirmed she could do nothing other than pass onto the relevant department.  The ‘department’ emailed me over night stating “Your account access has been restored”. So, all appears OK now – just made a small transaction on Moonpig.

BUT WHY – one sleepless night wondering what on earth I might have inadvertently done.  PayPal never requested any further information (despite suggestions they would), never explained WHY. 

Just seems absolutely appalling process and obvious lack of customer service doesn’t help.

P.S. Been with PayPal – 10-15 years (I guess) and never had anything like this before.  I normally just BUY things (often eBay) – i.e. I am NOT a merchant and not directly transferring money to potentially ‘dodgy’ people. Nothing I have done recently has changed to the best of my knowledge (except PayPal processing moved from EU to UK on 1st November 2023)

PAYPAL should STOP what appears to be a random process which is just so ‘INCONVENIENT & EXCEEDINGLY DISTRESSING’ (no eBay access without PayPal for example)

Anyone had similar experiences?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@peterhw 

Only customer services could answer that one for you ie why it happened.

However you no longer have to use paypal as a buyer or seller on Ebay now as they are a totally different companies and you can pay by any of the methods the seller offers. As a seller you can add any payment options that you want and you do not have to accept Paypal if you don't want to.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

peterhw
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks  Kernowlass (sounds female & Cornish)

Just wondered if anyone had similar experiences and understood why.

Your comments about payment methods - understood and thanks very much - that one passed me by.

"Only customer services could answer that one for you ie why it happened."  That's exactly what hasn't happened - i.e. unable to enter into any meaningful dialogue with PAYPAL customer services. No explanation for the initial DE-activation and no explanation for reversal. [Tried twice to send message - via PAYPAL website and on both occasions - 'this facility is not available - try later' or similar wording]

The purpose of the original message was to perhaps persuade PAYPAL that they need to improve their ATTITUDE to customers.

I like the PayPal option but guess I will move more transactions to credit / debit cards.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@peterhw 

Paypal customer services aren't the best at times 😥

They also give as little actual information as possible (or know as little amount of information) in my opinion.

Just a guy in a call centre reading from a script most times unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

peterhw
Contributor
Contributor

With some information I, or anybody else, could possibly avoid the same scenario - if there is any genuine for the DE-activation. An apology would be appreciated

Login to Me Too

PastelBow
Contributor
Contributor

Bit late also also having a sleepless night over this; exactly the same thing happened to me today. 4.45pm got the the same email and panicked as I use them for pay in 3 and credit (apparently you'd have to start a repayment plan with them if they reject your claim). Like you I don't have a business and just use them for payments like eBay and other places that accept PayPal. And strangely also used PayPal to pay for Moonpig like you a couple of days before. The last transaction was around £6 refund withdrawal my bank account . I called, the guy was really nice but had no answer and said he couldn't see any reason why this would be happening, and made a claim against it for me right away. He said something about the US being behind in time but just after 6pm I got an email saying my account was restored and I could use it again. The guy did hint a lot of disputes against retailers could be an issue, but I only had one in years so he said that wouldn't be it either. In the end got no answer, just deactivated then reactivated.

Login to Me Too

peterhw
Contributor
Contributor

Understand your frustration - at least you didn't have to worry about it overnight.

Whilst it seems Paypal  have every right to do what they do & have no obligation to provide an appropriate response -- it would make sense to provide a better more understanding approach to you & I - their customers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.