Why can giving my PayPal email out end in being scammed?

Godzone
Contributor
Contributor
Hi We are selling a somewhat expensive bike. Listed yesterday in NZ, we have received an email from a man who’s profile shows he’s in England. He wants to buy it for his son as a replacement for tommorrow apparently. He can only pay through PayPal. I sent a message saying I was mum and why did he only have the means to pay through PayPal, where was he and where was his son and asked him to call me and gave my mobile number. I dont understand how we can be scammed. We wouldn’t release the bike until I had withdrawn the money from PayPal. He said he would have a hailer pick it up which is weird to start with as in NZ we would simply say a friend, a courier or a transport company would be coming to pick it up. Whilst the English isn’t terrible, there is definately suspicious wording. I’ve just realised I have probably only used PayPal a few times years ago and now can’t remember if I would need to withdraw the money to my bank or if PayPal simply puts it into my bank 🤔. In any case he hasn’t called and I don’t suspect he will, but I’m left wondering why / how this could turn bad and end up a scam by just giving my PayPal account email to him.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Godzone 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a direct Paypal payment.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails may go into your junk/spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad or sending as a gift to a family member but they will arrange a shipping agent or courier to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The fake paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via another payment processor than Paypal or by providing some vouchers or tokens before the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the bike, they just want that couriers/shipping funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also sometimes threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram, Western Union, Bank Transfer or any sort of gift token or voucher.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Godzone 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a direct Paypal payment.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails may go into your junk/spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad or sending as a gift to a family member but they will arrange a shipping agent or courier to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The fake paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via another payment processor than Paypal or by providing some vouchers or tokens before the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the bike, they just want that couriers/shipping funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also sometimes threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram, Western Union, Bank Transfer or any sort of gift token or voucher.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Godzone
Contributor
Contributor

I would also expect that you pay for your own shipping costs if you can’t pick up the item.  If I’m not a business trying to sell items and ship at my expense this would never fly with most people surely.  The other thing is if you are a business you would have your own system of shipping so you can control the cost.  I don’t really get how people get scammed on their.  Oh well. Again, thanks so much for helping us.

Login to Me Too

Godzone
Contributor
Contributor

Right, thanks so much for explaining.  I would never pay for some extra fee when I’m selling something.  I would tell them to sort it and get back to us once ready to pay a have shipping organised and in place.  The English used was a huge red flag.  The fact when you clicked on the  profile and the person was from UK spoke volumes.  Why would a dad be buying his son, someone obviously old enough to living out here in NZ a bike to replace old one.  Might send his son the money some other way so the son can shop around.  I wouldn’t fall this.  Hard to believe people do.  Ask questions.  Ask for their phone number so you can have a conversation.  But thanks as now I see it the smaller fee paid they just want.  Desperate people who must feel terribly unfulfilled and angry in life.  Such a waste of a life.

Login to Me Too

Dancemomkk
New Community Member
I I received this and almost sent my PayPal information. Thank goodness I found Godzones post. Thank you (no subject) ((My email username)) Hi Kate, Please send me your phone number and I can call regarding the banjo. My friend Mike doesn't know how to use the interenet DoneDeal etc so ... K kate smith Okay i will Thank you, I appreciate your reply, I will be interested in buying it. please tell me how it is in condition and since when have you go... Kimberly E Hi, Thank you for your reply. It is in good condition. His son bought it to learn banjo but became disinterested and has since moved away so he is ... Kimberly E I just messaged Mike to ask when he bought it. Except for the 2 missing strings it is in pristine condition in my opinion. I took the picture so I ... Kimberly E He bought it appropriately 2 years ago second hand. K kate smith to me 36 minutes agoDetails Okay thank you, I'm interested in what I have seen and read about it on the site. I ought to check it before buying it but I'm busy with work and it is going to take more time than before so I won't be able to see it myself, I will send someone over. your final price is the best for me, I know other people are willing to buy this is one of the reasons I will like to pay first to assure you and I will pay you through PayPal, It the easiest and quick to make pay right now at my side, don't stress I will take care of the charges and I will arrange for transport company to take care of the pickup with no stress and transport it to my side in Rotterdam after have done and you have confirmed the payment. Please, If you are interested in this transaction send your paypal info below and if you have an account already with paypal; Name, Paypal email, Your phone number, Amount, Address. So, I can make your payment then I can tell the transport agent to come for the pickup after you have confirmed your money. Then again, I am going to need your address for the pickup to be arranged. I will be expecting your response.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.