What do I do now? Small claims court?

Tenatra
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

I'm having an issue. I filed a dispute for a damaged item and was told to return the item for a refund. I returned the item with tracking information to prove it was delivered. The case was closed in the seller's favor and I did not get my refund. I messaged paypal on the paypal website. They filed an appeal and reopened the case. Then the case was closed in the seller's favor again. I messaged Paypal on Facebook. They appealed the case. Then it was closed again. This has happened 4 different times. I feel like I am all out of options. Is my only recourse small claims court?

The email I get when the case is closed each time is as follows.

We received the case(s) you filed on February 10, 2023.

We have reviewed this transaction(s) and are denying your case(s). This decision was made because we did not receive valid proof or tracking that you returned the merchandise."

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tenatra wrote:

Hello all,

I'm having an issue. I filed a dispute for a damaged item and was told to return the item for a refund. I returned the item with tracking information to prove it was delivered. The case was closed in the seller's favor and I did not get my refund. I messaged paypal on the paypal website. They filed an appeal and reopened the case. Then the case was closed in the seller's favor again. I messaged Paypal on Facebook. They appealed the case. Then it was closed again. This has happened 4 different times. I feel like I am all out of options. Is my only recourse small claims court?

The email I get when the case is closed each time is as follows.

We received the case(s) you filed on February 10, 2023.

We have reviewed this transaction(s) and are denying your case(s). This decision was made because we did not receive valid proof or tracking that you returned the merchandise."

Did you provide tracking number that had “Delivered” status when tracked at carrier website? 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Tenatra
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. The tracking number was provided and when checking the tracking number, the item was delivered.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tenatra 

Then that is weird. I would suggest first filing a complaint with bbb.org under PayPal San Jose, CA to reach out to PayPal Executive Escalations Office and have them review the case. If that fails, then file a chargeback if you paid with credit card, or go small claims.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Tenatra
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. That's what I'll do. I do think this is the end of my paypal use for certain.

Login to Me Too

VMAC2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I am having the same issue, I purchased a pair of sneakers from a company called Pure Gem.  After receiving the sneakers, they were definitely not as advertised. Pure garbage, so cheap.  I opened a dispute with Paypal, and was given the same response as you received.  I noted there is no "appeal button" as per the help section.  Paypal had numerous photos, links, etc. and still ruled in their favor. The company is defrauding people, and has changed its name at least twice.  Their website name and FB pages were changed to something else, then changed back again.  The sneakers were shipped from China and the package was relabeled in Ontario, but they want you to pay for the return shipping to Australia.  The cost of return shipping is almost half of what I paid for the sneakers.   Paypal is condoning the company's bad business practices by allowing them to continue using Paypal to rip people off.  I am currently on the phone with a Paypal rep. 

Login to Me Too

Tenatra
Contributor
Contributor

I really hope to not push it as far as small claims, but it is a matter of principle. How many people give up before they get that far? Most. I've done it before however and was successful with another company.

Login to Me Too

VMAC2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tenatra.

I filed an appeal by speaking with a representative. If it does not work out I will report the company somehow and give as many negative comments as possible in order to save others from being ripped off. 

Login to Me Too

Tenatra
Contributor
Contributor
I've been through four appeals at this point.
Login to Me Too

VMAC2
Contributor
Contributor

So sad that you had to go through it so many times.  I will post again and let you know whenever the review has been completed and Paypal has made their decision.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.