Someone hacked my account and is transferring $

Sams1010
Contributor
Contributor
Hi. I’m seriously stressed out someone hacked my account changed my language added a new phone number everything. They also are sending $1,000 from my bank account to their PayPal plus account and I don’t know what to do this is on top of sending all of the money out of my account into a new debit card they added tonight all while hacking my account the $1,000 transfer is pending but I can’t see how to stop it. It’s 11:30 on a Friday evening and I can’t call anyone for help because everything is closed. I can’t even dispute it it won’t let me. Someone please help me
Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

Melody22
Contributor
Contributor
The exact thing happened to me. The $1000 transfer from my bank account is pending but my balance that was in my PayPal account was transferred to someone else's account. The bank can't do anything about it because it's pending. I can't get any help from PayPal customer service or their messaging service.
Login to Me Too

JCastellano
Contributor
Contributor
Same with me, language changed to French. Of course it happens on a weekend with Monday being a holiday. Anybody hear anything yet?
Login to Me Too

goofygooberyea
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing has happened to me and a few others I found on this forum! The exact same thing- they changed the language to spanish, added a weird number, and took out 1,000$ from my bank.

Paypal is being really slow with responding and my bank was at a loss for words. I really hope paypal steps up to help us all soon. I wonder how many people were really effected...best of luck to you I hope we get this resolved soon.

The only piece of advice I can offer is to get the weird number off of your account, and change your paypal and bank passwords pronto! 

Login to Me Too

notsohappy14
New Community Member

Me too 1,000 pending and a strange phone number added and had issues with my account being in a different language.

Login to Me Too

WaWaWa888
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, this happened to us just yesterday.  Be very careful because PayPal is not as secure as it used to be and they are not sufficiently supporting their customers when this happens.  I received this from them:  

"We've completed our review of your unauthorized activity case, and we’ve determined there was no unauthorized use.

Based on our review, we found this transaction is consistent with your PayPal payment history."

I had only opened the case that day... how much investigation could they have done?  We rarely transfer money and never in the thousands and never in US funds as we live in Canada so it's not at all consistent with our payment history.  The hacker transferred 2 x $2500 USD from two different bank accounts.  Thankfully we caught it in time and put a stop to all charges from PayPal at our bank.  Paypal needs to step up and investigate this further.  There are many alternative ways of sending funds now and I would advise severely limiting Paypal usage until they learn to catch stuff like this.
Login to Me Too

The-Mariner
New Community Member

Did you ever get this resolved same happened to me now I have a negative balance.

Login to Me Too

WaWaWa888
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, PayPal came through for me and reversed the charges... happy ending:).

Login to Me Too

I saw that this same thing was happening to me yesterday morning. The hackers initiated three transfers on the same day for $300 each, totaling $900. My language was changed to Spanish, which made navigating the crisis that much more infuriating!

I immediately changed my password and removed/unlinked my bank account information from PayPal, then called my bank to begin the fraud report. Since it was only in the "processing phase" yesterday, I had to wait for it to be fully posted to my account before the bank could make the full report, which was today. Yesterday I also tried to initiate a dispute on/in PayPal, only to get a message that it was a deposit, which cannot be disputed through PayPal but instead needs to be disputed through the deposit source, i.e. my bank. So very frustrating! 

I was able to send a message today in PayPal but I have received no response yet. Like others on this forum, I cannot see where my PayPal Cash balance is anything but $0.00 but it still shows that it will be processing until Monday 12/28/20. It would be very helpful if someone could tell me if they ever saw any records in PayPal where their balance was updated or if PayPal was ever able to tell how the fraudulent cash cards were linked to the account. I also went into the security settings to check all permission and links, finding only one that I did was unfamiliar so I removed that, then changed my password again.

I do not believe that these are isolated and random issues, and I wonder if any of these hacks have happened on similar types of electronic devices. I know that I recently changed from an iPhone to a Galaxy model.  

I wish that I could trust PayPal to help but I am quickly losing faith in them based on what I'm reading and what I see on this message string.  All responses and information would be greatly appreciated:-)

Login to Me Too

DB83
New Community Member

In a matter of minutes debit cards were added for NY address and then they did instant transfers of 1k before we could do anything.  paypal just denied the claim.  We are moving all our money out of paypal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.